From: Paul Bergson [MVP-DS] on
Ace,
The dc's will get their time from the PDCe. Clients get their time from a
dc within their domain. I thought it was always the authenticating dc, but
can't verify that.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/71e76587-28f4-4272-a3d7-7f44ca50c0181033.mspx?mfr=true

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:5ED3D0BF-2CD5-4C6D-9720-1ABF9685B780(a)microsoft.com,
Keli <Keli(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> ok, I know, but I read article before your answer :)
>
> I am cheking my network and I hope to find some solution ....
>

> thanks Ace,
>

> keli

Ok, you are welcome. If you want to set it to the router, as long as the
router is acting as an NTP server (you would need to check the documentation
for the router), the PDC Emulator should work and synch up.

Otherwise, if you like to use an external clock, like that IP I provided,
then UDP 123 will need to allowed inbound.

Let us know how you make out.

Ace

From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:5ED3D0BF-2CD5-4C6D-9720-1ABF9685B780(a)microsoft.com,
Keli <Keli(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> ok, I know, but I read article before your answer :)
>
> I am cheking my network and I hope to find some solution ....
>

> thanks Ace,
>

> keli

Oh, forgot one thing. If you have McAfee, or any other antivirus software on
the PDC Emulator, it may be stopping that type of traffic too. Check it out.

Ace

From: Ace Fekay [MVP] on
In news:%23FhcLZqpHHA.4532(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Paul Bergson [MVP-DS] <pbergson(a)allete_nospam.com> typed:
> Ace,
> The dc's will get their time from the PDCe. Clients get their time
> from a dc within their domain. I thought it was always the
> authenticating dc, but can't verify that.
>
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/71e76587-28f4-4272-a3d7-7f44ca50c0181033.mspx?mfr=true

Hi Paul,

Actually the PDC Emulator acts as the time source for clients in it's
domain. Quoted from the link above:
__________________
Domain Hierarchy-Based Synchronization
Synchronization that is based on a domain hierarchy uses Active Directory's
domain hierarchy to find a reliable source with which to synchronize time.
Based on domain hierarchy, the Windows Time service determines the accuracy
of each time server. In a Windows Server 2003 forest, the computer that
holds the primary domain controller (PDC) emulator operations master role,
located in the forest root domain, holds the position of best time source,
unless another reliable time source has been configured. The following
figure illustrates a path of time synchronization between computers in a
domain hierarchy.

Cheers!

Ace

From: Paul Bergson [MVP-DS] on
I agree that the PDCe holds the master time service, but all clients don't

The link below will explain what I was trying to explain much better, but
couldn't find earlier. It is for 2000 but believe this hasn't changed for
2003.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224799