From: James on
I am trying to run an ancient DOS program on Windows XP Pro. It used to work
fine, but now when I try to run it, my CPU usage goes to 50% and stays there,
and when I try to get output from the program I get this error:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0000 IP:0075 OP:f0 00 f0 37 05 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

When I click 'close' it terminates the program.

Thanks for any help.
From: gsjutla on
There have been several changes in the way programs work. Windows xp does not
allow direct access to hardware resources to protect system integrity.
However you can try a few things

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=165214
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324767

Generaly speaking this error shows up when a program tries to use a
command.com file from an incompatible version of windows.
--
Regards
Gurpreet Singh

From: James on
Update: 27 Dec 2007 10:39

I just tried running the program is safe mode. The program runs flawlessly
if I am logged in as 'administrator' but not when I am logged in as myself -
and I am the administrator.

Looking in the task manager, all the processes running are the exact same
weather logged in as administrator or as myself, but I get the same error
when I try to run it as myself either in safe mode or normal mode.

Also, one other thing - the window is square and rather small with a black
section at the bottom when logged in as myself, and normal size, rectangular,
when logged in as admin. when it works right - both in safe mode

"gsjutla" wrote:

> There have been several changes in the way programs work. Windows xp does not
> allow direct access to hardware resources to protect system integrity.
> However you can try a few things
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=165214
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324767
>
> Generaly speaking this error shows up when a program tries to use a
> command.com file from an incompatible version of windows.
> --
> Regards
> Gurpreet Singh
>

> "James" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to run an ancient DOS program on Windows XP Pro. It used to work
> > fine, but now when I try to run it, my CPU usage goes to 50% and stays there,
> > and when I try to get output from the program I get this error:
> >
> > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> > CS:0000 IP:0075 OP:f0 00 f0 37 05 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
> >
> > When I click 'close' it terminates the program.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

Pages: 1
Prev: Solve any your Software problem
Next: RunDll32.exe