From: Bob Villa on
Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does make
a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
DDR!

bob_v
From: Ben Myers on
On 3/9/2010 6:38 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
> Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does make
> a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
> DDR!
>
> bob_v

But, of course! One really cannot be productive with several apps
running at once with only 512MB. Unless one equates productivity to
watching paint dry, as Windows beats the hard drive to death using the
paging file. Memory upgrades give more bang for the buck than any other
upgrade, most of the time, anyway... Ben Myers
From: RnR on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 09:13:58 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>On 3/9/2010 6:38 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
>> Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does make
>> a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
>> DDR!
>>
>> bob_v
>
>But, of course! One really cannot be productive with several apps
>running at once with only 512MB. Unless one equates productivity to
>watching paint dry, as Windows beats the hard drive to death using the
>paging file. Memory upgrades give more bang for the buck than any other
>upgrade, most of the time, anyway... Ben Myers

Yep, everything I read or have read, says the same. Of course there
is a value of diminishing returns as you increase it further. Bob
did well.

ps-- I think in my near future I have to paint or hire painters so I
can equate my productivity to watching the paint dry in case I need a
2nd coat :(
From: powrwrap on
On Mar 9, 5:38 am, Bob Villa <pheeh.z...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512.  I does make
> a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
> DDR!
>
> bob_v

My eight year old 4550 has 768 MB of memory. Back then I think I paid
$45 for a 512 MB stick. Last time I looked a 512 MB stick was about
$18. I thought that was pretty cheap. Isn't it?
From: Bob Villa on
On Mar 9, 9:08 am, powrwrap <powrw...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 5:38 am, Bob Villa <pheeh.z...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512.  I does make
> > a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
> > DDR!
>
> > bob_v
>
> My eight year old 4550 has 768 MB of memory. Back then I think I paid
> $45 for a 512 MB stick. Last time I looked a 512 MB stick was about
> $18. I thought that was pretty cheap. Isn't it?

I have never seen it cheap in the past few years. Newegg i think is
$30+ and Pricewatch shows $18 and ends up hi-density and you have to
pay more for low-density. Have you checked that?
Anyhow the guy wanted $10 for 2 sticks of 512,PC3200, 2.5CL (on
Craigslist) and he sent them to me to see if they would work. (a
trusting soul that is hard to find these days!)
I sent him $25.

bob