From: John L on
>So what was missing in the PDP-10 architecture?

Address bits, the same thing that killed every other old architecture.

The DEC 20 extended addressing was a clever hack, but it was basically
286 style segmented addresses which are a nightmare to program.

R's,
John

From: jmfbahciv on
In article <45f59384$1(a)darkstar>, eugene(a)cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote:
>In article <esp4dj$8qk_002(a)s1016.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
> <jmfbahciv(a)aol.com> wrote:
>>In article <1173274591.042195.246470(a)8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com>,
>>>
>>>I was waiting for someone to point out that, yes, the perfect computer
>>>*does* have a 36-bit word, and it is the PDP-10.
>
>Well if you had done homework you would have seen where the S-1 guys saw
>its limitations and planned to expand for the future.
>
>>So what was missing in the PDP-10 architecture?
>
>Well as the S-1 was supposed to have 16 "Cray-1 class" CPUs, those guys
>decided to have vector registers. So they thought the number crunching
>was weak. And a slew of other features. Hey if you want to stay stuck
>in a small address space, fine by me.

Why does everybody keep assuming that PDP-10s have to be limited
to 18-bit addressing? Isn't it simply a small matter of wiring
to fetch more than 18bits for effective address calculations?

>>>Of course, *my* idea is to use a 360-like instruction set, but broken
>>>up into 18-bit pieces instead of 16-bit pieces.
>>
>>I thought your goal was to design a general purpose architecture?
>>That is the only kind of architecture that can fulfill the
>>stated goal in the subject header of this thread. One of
>>the pluses of the PDP-10 architecture is that it was the
>>perfect computer for anybody.
>
>Doubtful.

The key word was "anybody". This meant that anybody could
use the architecture and get something done. It was never
meant to be a specialized architecture. TOPS-10 was described
as general purpose timesharing. This implies "anybody".

>>It is against human nature laws to produce a computer that
>>is perfect for everybody.
>
>Likely true.

There is no likely about it. One man's hell is another man's
paradise.

>>I think this is your tradeoff litmus test.
>
>Not bad.

??
/BAH

From: jmfbahciv on
In article <et4hl0$1vlg$1(a)gal.iecc.com>, johnl(a)iecc.com (John L) wrote:
>>So what was missing in the PDP-10 architecture?
>
>Address bits, the same thing that killed every other old architecture.

Address bits with respect to what? I don't see the problem.
I'm not a hardware type but a fetch for effective address
calculations can be 36-bits wide. Can it not?
You don't have to change current instructions. You can
add, or extend, existing instructions to manipulate greater
than 18-bit addresses.

For example, refer to the DECsystem-10 Reference Card, part number
DEC-10XSRCA-B-D. Note that the blue print indicated the KI-10
only add-ons.

>The DEC 20 extended addressing was a clever hack, but it was basically
>286 style segmented addresses which are a nightmare to program.

Of course it was a hack. It was a way to provide computing service
until the next architecture was in production.

I'm not sure that we ever expected regular users to use it.

/BAH

From: krw on
In article <et647p$8qk_016(a)s887.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com says...
> In article <45f59384$1(a)darkstar>, eugene(a)cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote:

<snip>

> >Well as the S-1 was supposed to have 16 "Cray-1 class" CPUs, those guys
> >decided to have vector registers. So they thought the number crunching
> >was weak. And a slew of other features. Hey if you want to stay stuck
> >in a small address space, fine by me.
>
> Why does everybody keep assuming that PDP-10s have to be limited
> to 18-bit addressing? Isn't it simply a small matter of wiring
> to fetch more than 18bits for effective address calculations?

You have to encode those bits into the ISA somehow, hopefully in a
way that doesn't muck up every program ever written.

<snip>

--
Keith
From: Eugene Miya on
In article <MPG.206078dd61655fc398a0f7(a)news.individual.net>,
krw <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:
>In article <et647p$8qk_016(a)s887.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com says...
>> In article <45f59384$1(a)darkstar>, eugene(a)cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote:
>> >the S-1 ...
>> >small address space, fine by me.
>>
>> Why does everybody keep assuming that PDP-10s have to be limited
>> to 18-bit addressing? Isn't it simply a small matter of wiring
>> to fetch more than 18bits for effective address calculations?
>
>You have to encode those bits into the ISA somehow, hopefully in a
>way that doesn't muck up every program ever written.

Small address space, FYI, was the DEC community's term.
It didn't matter if it was 8s, 16s, 10/20s.
And that was OS independent. It could have been the Franz guys
complaints for LISP.

Like I keep saying, we have an interesting future.