From: David Webber on
1. Yesterday I attempted to compile my source code and was told that the
file

sourceannotations.h

included in sal.h was not present.

Sure enough

C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\sal.h

does include the file

C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\include\CodeAnalysis\sourceannotations.h

and sure enough, it wasn't there.

2. So I copied it in there from the old Visual Studio installation (on the
machine I'm transferring my projects from) and all was well.

3. Except that over the course of today it has vanished twice more.
(I am currently working on a complicated new DLL with compilation failing
more often than not as I get things straightened out.)

There's something deeply suspicious going on here - can anyone enlighten me?

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

From: David Webber on
It seems to be happening when I close visual studio and re-open it, if that
is anything to go on.

Dave

From: David Lowndes on
>It seems to be happening when I close visual studio and re-open it, if that
>is anything to go on.

Weird.

Any sign of the installer running when you restart VS?

What happens if you place that file in a different (include) location
- one different from where it ought to be installed by default?

Dave
From: Tom Walker on
"David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message

> 3. Except that over the course of today it has vanished twice more.
> (I am currently working on a complicated new DLL with compilation failing
> more often than not as I get things straightened out.)

Just a guess. When you copy the file into the Program Files subdirectory,
are you doing the copy from an elevated (administrator) command prompt? If
not, then the file is probably really getting copied into a subdirectory of
C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. Are you running Visual Studio
elevated? If so then it might not see the files in the VirtualStore
subdirectories.

From: David Webber on

"David Lowndes" <DavidL(a)example.invalid> wrote in message

>>It seems to be happening when I close visual studio and re-open it, if
>>that
>>is anything to go on.
>
> Weird.
>
> Any sign of the installer running when you restart VS?
>
> What happens if you place that file in a different (include) location
> - one different from where it ought to be installed by default?

Well it has just happened to one of my own header files too - so maybe that
answers the question.

I have a feeling it is something to do with it being a new 64bit win7
machine, but I can't put my finger on anything.

Dave