From: nyder on
On Apr 27, 8:02 pm, Charles Richmond <friz...(a)tx.rr.com> wrote:
> Sean Huxter wrote:
> > "Clocky" <notg...(a)happen.com> wrote in message

> >> Yeah, but if 5.25" based drive sales (154x/1571) are the measure of
> >> success then the 3.5" C= drives don't even rate.
>
> >> I've dealt with C= equipment for many years and despite the huge
> >> popularity of the C64 and the 154x drives I have never even come across a
> >> single 3.5" C= floppy drive or known anyone to own one.
>
> >> That's my point.
>
> > You are a blind man feeling the elephant's knee claiming it has no tusks.
>
> > Regardless of whether YOU had one, they were important to ME. I also had a
> > 1351a mouse. Not many of those were made either, but they made my work on my
> > computer easy.
>
> > Hell, I wrote a whole fantasy novel, hundreds of pages, on my C128, on my
> > 1581 3.5" floppy using my 1351a mouse.
>
> Although I had a couple of 1541's, I *never* got to use a 1581.
> Did the 1581 require double-sided, double-density disks??? I
> wonder what part of the Sony production is made up of these DS/DD
> disks???  The HD floppies are *not* reliable if used as a DS/DD...
>
> --
> +----------------------------------------+
> |     Charles and Francis Richmond       |
> |                                        |
> |  plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com   |
> +----------------------------------------+

lol HD floppies aren't reliable if formatted in HD mode, anymore.

seriously HD floppies these days suck, they are made horrible.

While Sony will stop making the floppies in a year, as long as their
is demand and a profit to be made, other companies will keep making
them. They still sell 8 million a year, if i remember the article
correctly. That might not make as much of a profit as sony likes,
but it still makes a profit.

From: RobertB on
On Apr 27, 3:16 pm, "Sean Huxter" <sean.hux...(a)SPAMverizon.net> wrote:

> Hell, I wrote a whole fantasy novel, hundreds of pages, on my C128, on my
> 1581 3.5" floppy using my 1351a mouse.

Hey, Sean, I know of a lady from the former
Commodore Hayward User Group who is
currently writing her book with a C64 and 1541.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 24-25 Commodore Vegas Expo 2010 -
http://www.commodore.ca/forum
and click on ComVEX
From: Clocky on
Sean Huxter wrote:
> You are a blind man feeling the elephant's knee claiming it has no
> tusks.
> Regardless of whether YOU had one, they were important to ME.

Regardless of you having one, most people did not. If they did, they would
be worth as little as a 1541, but they are not as they are much rarer.

You're just being arguementative.

From: Clocky on
Brandon Staggs wrote:
> "Clocky" wrote on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:10:40 +0800:
>
>> I've dealt with C= equipment for many years and despite the huge
>> popularity of the C64 and the 154x drives I have never even come
>> across a single 3.5" C= floppy drive or known anyone to own one.
>
> I was very envious of my friends who had them when I was a teen. And
> I have a 1581 now. Also, those devices were well-advertised in
> Commodore magazines.

Sure, but that's not my point which is that the 1581 drives weren't anywhere
near as popular or influential as the 5.25" format drives.
The lack of commercial software released for the 3.5" drives would be a good
indicator.

From: Clocky on
Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Clocky wrote on 26. April 2010:
>>
>> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>>> The floppy was probably the most used data storage device for
>>> Commodore computers, especially the C64. Swapped with friends at
>>> school with the newest games on back then...
>>>

>> The 3.5" floppy didn't play a part in the C64's success and the
>> 5.25" format has been dead for years already.
>
> Yes, but the article says all floppy production is ended by 2011. And
> the
> 5.25" played a big part in my and other's C64 lives back then.

Ah, so you you mean that you are mourning the death of the floppy drive as a
storage device in general, not specifically the 3.5" drives they were
talking about.
Fair enough.

>>> http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/sony-shutting-down-japanese-floppy-disk-sales-by-march-2011-kil
>>
>> Have Mitsumi, TEAC, Panasonic and Samsung etc all stopped production?
>
> Well SONY does the majority of floppies. So if they stop I guess the
> others will follow.

Still with millions of sales, somebody can still make money from production
I would guess.