From: Jared on
On Mar 5, 10:39 am, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-
newsgro...(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote:
> > But 0 is the start of computer indexing - at least in real programs.
>
> Real Programs are of course written by Real Programmers, and Real
> Programmers know that even toy languages like Visual BASIC have OPTION
> BASE 1.  From this and later remarks, it is obvious that you are a
> Quiche Eater.  I expect that you even think that integer overflow is an
> error to be avoided, instead of an opportunity for creative uses of
> computed GOTO.

Better yet: $[ = 42;
From: Phred Phungus on
Jared wrote:
> On Mar 5, 10:39 am, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-
> newsgro...(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote:
>>> But 0 is the start of computer indexing - at least in real programs.
>> Real Programs are of course written by Real Programmers, and Real
>> Programmers know that even toy languages like Visual BASIC have OPTION
>> BASE 1. From this and later remarks, it is obvious that you are a
>> Quiche Eater. I expect that you even think that integer overflow is an
>> error to be avoided, instead of an opportunity for creative uses of
>> computed GOTO.
>
> Better yet: $[ = 42;

Whatever. The "real programmers" schtick goes back to Greg Lindahl.

(misses Greg a bit)

We had to write a perpetual calender as our final project in scientific
programming at the Y in 1987. It had to output so as to look like a
calender.

It wasn't in fixed form, from my perspective; it was in the only form.
I couldn't get the output right and took an incomplete. I took the
class again immediately and finished within the first couple weeks with
an A. I find it odd that strangers call me a noobie.

I always think that Richard Maine must look like my instructor. If I
had a nickel for everything that etched on my mind in the Eyring
science, true, false, the awful smell of the meat in that one girl's
daily sandwich ....