From: Terence on
My kids draggged me screaming away from my roomful of faithful museum-
quality DOS and Windows--running computers and presented me with a
MacPro Professional, with Windows 2000 loaded under simulation.

After facing the grief of an entirely new user interface to learn,
what do Forum members recommend for me, to aquire a trustable Fortran
compiler, with which I can continue to compile my (F77) code and have
it run on Apple AND Windows systems (even if two versions are
needed)?

I note that the Apple MAC is really based on an Intel chip and nVidia
graphics and happily runs my DOS code under the VMware Fusion
application.
( Here I inteject to note that I had to eliminate some Fx key
shortcuts and write new ASM software to get real Funtion keys, and ALT-
arrow simulations of the "missing" Home, End, Page up, Page down and
control-arrow keys. Unfortunately there is no Delete function as "we"
know it, but a "Delete"-labelled backspace erasing key that starts in
the "wrong" place, and there is no insert key; that makes running
good old software a little difficult. But the kludge works).

So: Fortran compilers to run on Apple MAC (or Windows simulation) with
target systems of native Apple MAC and Windows 2000 or V7?
(Not really happy with XP; and Vista is Dodo-bound).
From: Richard Maine on
Terence <tbwright(a)cantv.net> wrote:

> My kids draggged me screaming away from my roomful of faithful museum-
> quality DOS and Windows--running computers and presented me with a
> MacPro Professional, with Windows 2000 loaded under simulation.

Fancy gift. Makes me feel cheap because I only bought my (80-year-old)
Mom a 20" iMac (and a reconditioned one at that). I looked at the 24"
ones, but my son commented that my mother wouldn't be doing anything
that would make good use of the extra size. One of my brothers had
"tasked" me with getting mom a new computer after dad died. I'm sure he
expected me to come back with a cheap Windows box (but not as cheap as
the old eMachines one dad had been clinging to). I got her the iMac
instead, which has pleased her, except that she thinks I spent way to
much on it for her; I think I have yet a long way to go before we are
"even."

> After facing the grief of an entirely new user interface to learn,
> what do Forum members recommend for me, to aquire a trustable Fortran
> compiler, with which I can continue to compile my (F77) code and have
> it run on Apple AND Windows systems (even if two versions are
> needed)?

> I note that the Apple MAC is really based on an Intel chip and nVidia
> graphics and happily runs my DOS code under the VMware Fusion
> application.

Yes. For a start, any compiler that you could otherwise run on Windows
2000 or Windows 7, you ought to still be able to run on them under
VMWare. I can't comment constructively on compatibility between the
different Windows versions, but I can tell you that you don't need
anything special for Windows under VMWare than for the same version of
Windows on any other Windows box. Heck, though I haven't tried it, I
think it is supposed to be possible to run DOS under VMWare if you
really want. One nice thing about the Mac with VMWare is that you have a
lot of choices that don't have to exclude each other.

> So: Fortran compilers to run on Apple MAC (or Windows simulation) with
> target systems of native Apple MAC and Windows 2000 or V7?
> (Not really happy with XP; and Vista is Dodo-bound).

For the Windows side, see above for general comments. I'll defer more
specific recommendations to others.

For the native Mac side, there are also quite a few choices. G95 and
GFortran are free (in both senses) and have versions for both Mac and
Windows. Intel Fortran isn't free, but it also has Mac and Windows
versions. Likewise for Nag, Absoft, and PGI.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Gordon Sande on
On 2010-03-07 19:37:28 -0400, Terence <tbwright(a)cantv.net> said:

> My kids draggged me screaming away from my roomful of faithful museum-
> quality DOS and Windows--running computers and presented me with a
> MacPro Professional, with Windows 2000 loaded under simulation.

Must be a new model as it does not match the factory descriptions.
Apple claims to sell a model called the Mac Pro in either Quad-Core
or 8-Core variants.

> After facing the grief of an entirely new user interface to learn,
> what do Forum members recommend for me, to aquire a trustable Fortran
> compiler, with which I can continue to compile my (F77) code and have
> it run on Apple AND Windows systems (even if two versions are
> needed)?
>
> I note that the Apple MAC is really based on an Intel chip and nVidia
> graphics and happily runs my DOS code under the VMware Fusion
> application.
> ( Here I inteject to note that I had to eliminate some Fx key
> shortcuts and write new ASM software to get real Funtion keys, and ALT-
> arrow simulations of the "missing" Home, End, Page up, Page down and
> control-arrow keys. Unfortunately there is no Delete function as "we"
> know it, but a "Delete"-labelled backspace erasing key that starts in
> the "wrong" place, and there is no insert key; that makes running
> good old software a little difficult. But the kludge works).

You could have used the Apple supplied device drivers under BootCamp to
run Windows natively without the layer of MacOsX so you could preserve
more of your museum look and feel. Without all the extra software layers
the keyboard might work as intended. But that takes away the adventure
aspects.

> So: Fortran compilers to run on Apple MAC (or Windows simulation) with
> target systems of native Apple MAC and Windows 2000 or V7?
> (Not really happy with XP; and Vista is Dodo-bound).

Any of Absoft, NAG or Intel offer separate versions of their compilers for
MacOsX and Windows. There are also the GNU siblings of G95 and Gfortran
which come in both variants. For a total of five potential vendors. Depends
of which attributes float your boat. If you are up to your ears in extensions
there may be no vendor that meets your needs.

A sensible scheme is to have two compilers of different charactistics. One
for good debugging and one for good optimizations. One to be strict as possible
and one to tolerate no end of foolishness (which the first will make go away!).

NAG is both very strict and very good at debugging. The others list extensions
all over the place and have differing quality of optimizations.

From: Tim Prince on
On 3/7/2010 5:54 PM, Gordon Sande wrote:

> You could have used the Apple supplied device drivers under BootCamp to
> run Windows natively without the layer of MacOsX so you could preserve
> more of your museum look and feel. Without all the extra software layers
> the keyboard might work as intended. But that takes away the adventure
> aspects.

A (possibly minor) drawback of bootcamp is the lack of driver support
for many Windows versions. So, your favorite Windows version (if not
specifically called out as having driver support) likely will not find
network connections. It should still run the Windows compilers. For
some of us, ability to test Windows x64 .exe and still have network
connections might be important.

--
Tim Prince
From: Richard Maine on
Tim Prince <tprince(a)myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 3/7/2010 5:54 PM, Gordon Sande wrote:
>
> > You could have used the Apple supplied device drivers under BootCamp to
> > run Windows natively without the layer of MacOsX so you could preserve
> > more of your museum look and feel. Without all the extra software layers
> > the keyboard might work as intended. But that takes away the adventure
> > aspects.
> >
> A (possibly minor) drawback of bootcamp is the lack of driver support
> for many Windows versions. So, your favorite Windows version (if not
> specifically called out as having driver support) likely will not find
> network connections. It should still run the Windows compilers. For
> some of us, ability to test Windows x64 .exe and still have network
> connections might be important.

Are there Windows versions that are supported with bootcamp, but don't
have working network connections? My experience lacks breadth in that
regard, but my XP (32-bit) bootcamp system sees the network just fine on
this 4-month-old 27" iMac. It also worked find on the 3-year-old one
that this displaced.

BootCamp doesn't support a whole lot of Windows versions, though.
Quickly checking Apple's support pages, I see that it doesn't support
64-bit XP at all. So if you are talking x64 .exes, I guess that must be
either Vista or Windows 7, neither of which I have even token experience
with - never so much as touched a keyboard or mouse on a system running
them. Bootcamp supports those only on pretty recent systems. Are you
saying that one of those doesn't have working network drivers in
bootCamp?

I'd think a bigger factor would be that bootCamp might not support your
favorite Windows version at all. In particular, if you are looking for
x64 support and don't have one of the machines listed as supporting
that, then you'd have a problem. I suppose that perhaps lack of the
needed drivers might be exactly why Apple doesn't support some
combinations.

P.S. Another possibility for keyboard unhappiness is to use a 3rd party
keyboard. I haven't done so, but most/all? USB keyboards ought to work.
I do use 3rd party mice (well, trackballs).

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain