From: Leonard Agoado on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> Dustin Cook wrote:

> You use XNews. It has decent regex support for filters. I don't know
> about configuring it to download header+body so you can test on any
> and
> all headers rather than just the overview headers.

VanguardLH,

XNews will score any header that the connected Usenet server
supports with an XHDR call.

Regards,

Len Agoado
agoado(a)msn.com

From: VanguardLH on
Leonard Agoado wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Dustin Cook wrote:
>>
>> You use XNews. It has decent regex support for filters. I don't
>> know about configuring it to download header+body so you can test on
>> any and all headers rather than just the overview headers.
>
> XNews will score any header that the connected Usenet server supports
> with an XHDR call.

Maybe it's the luck of th draw but I've hit so few NNTP servers that
support XHDR (or XPAT) that I don't bother trying to use them and
instead just have the newsreader download the entire message so I get
all the headers with the body. I don't do binaries so retrieving the
body (to get all the headers) adds little extra time to get the
incremental count of new articles. Of course, if I didn't revisit the
newsgroups very often then more articles would have to get downloaded
and take more time. That the newsreader supports the XHDR command is
only half the requirement.