From: BGB / cr88192 on

"bart.c" <bartc(a)freeuk.com> wrote in message

> "Fred Nurk" <albert.xtheunknown0(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm doing my IT holiday homework and I get this:
>>
>> Investigate your chosen programming or scripting language and determine
>> the following:

>> (d) What is the syntax of the language?
>>
>> I've chosen C. In table 8.3 (Programming languages and codes), under PHP,
>> it says: 'Syntax is fairly simple and similar to that of Perl, with some
>> aspects like Javascript and C.'
>> Under ActionScript, it says: 'Has its own syntax that determines which
>> characters and words are used to create meaning and in which order they
>> can be written.'
>>
>> Do you think: 'Syntax (of C) is the basis of the syntax of many other
>> high-level programming/scripting languages.
>
>> Pointer and structure syntax
>> can become complex.' is adequate?
>
> It would be wrong; they're not particularly complex.
>
> What *are* complex are type declarations, which can become near impossible
> to decipher without special tools or following an algorithm.
>
> Fortunately most languages that borrowed it's syntax wisely decided not to
> copy it's type declarations.

agreed...

even though, for example, declarations in C# or Java resemble those of C,
their underlying mechanics are somewhat different, and as a result it is
possible to parse C# or Java without knowing in advance what the types are,
but similar is not possible with C or C++.

granted, it is possible that one could make a sort of "faux C" which uses a
C# style syntax, although at the cost that it would not generally be fully
source-compatible with C.

oddly enough, a lot of my code is forced into a similar notation anyways,
mostly as I tend to use specialized code-processing tools which place
restrictions on the allowed syntax (as they are fairly dumb tools with an
incomplete understanding of the language syntax).

From: Denis McMahon on
On 08/07/10 04:27, Fred Nurk wrote:

> Do you think: 'Syntax (of C) is the basis of the syntax of many other
> high-level programming/scripting languages. Pointer and structure syntax
> can become complex.' is adequate?

If you really thought it was adequate, you wouldn't even be asking.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: Bart van Ingen Schenau on
On Jul 8, 6:09 am, Fred Nurk <albert.xtheunkno...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Ian Collins wrote:
> > <snip>
> > Where is this table you refer to?
>
> Athttp://sites.google.com/site/xtheunknown0/information-technology
>
> > <snip>
> > Adequate for what?  The question appears to be looking for a description
> > of the language syntax (which would be long), not how it relates to
> > others.
>
> Well, my IT course doesn't really go into any specific programming
> language. I doubt that a 'description of the language syntax' would be
> expected.
>
> Do you think that my answer models the 'overviews' in the textbook?

No. The table you refer to seems to give, mostly, a short description
of the defining characteristics of the languages, along the lines of
answers to the question "What makes languag X be language X".

> TIA,
> Fred

Bart v Ingen Schenau
From: Daniel Pitts on
On 7/7/2010 8:27 PM, Fred Nurk wrote:
> I'm doing my IT holiday homework and I get this:
>
> Investigate your chosen programming or scripting language and determine
> the following:

> (d) What is the syntax of the language?
>
> I've chosen C. In table 8.3 (Programming languages and codes), under PHP,
> it says: 'Syntax is fairly simple and similar to that of Perl, with some
> aspects like Javascript and C.'
> Under ActionScript, it says: 'Has its own syntax that determines which
> characters and words are used to create meaning and in which order they
> can be written.'
>
> Do you think: 'Syntax (of C) is the basis of the syntax of many other
> high-level programming/scripting languages. Pointer and structure syntax
> can become complex.' is adequate?
>
> TIA,
> Fred
The Syntax of C is losely based on the Algol family of languages.

It is primarily an imperative language, with syntax for flow control
structures and data structures.