From: Jochem Maas on
Op 2/3/10 6:09 PM, Ryan S schreef:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Coming from a C and Java background I just loved PHP and have been programming with it for years thanks in a large part to the kind people on this list... present and past (Immediately the name John Holmes comes to mind.. i hope the dude is well)
> but now I have have to leave PHP or split time between php and .NET for just one reason:
>
> .NET offers a way to run programs using the Windows GUI / stand alone executable
>
> There always was talk on the list about running php code as standalone, but since I had a long absence from the list sorry if I missed any new updates... but I'm hoping someone can offer a way to run php standalone executable.
>
> Before posting I always google, and the main results I have gotten so far is:
> priado blender
> and PHP-GTK
>
> but no way to kind of drag and drop what you need like visual studio (i dont know how to use it yet, but been reading) or some other visual development tool like visual basic.
>
> I need to make a few standalones programs that will run (mostly) on Windows... is there any other way that I have not found that i can use PHP instead of learning something new like .NET?
>
> I have resisted going "the microsoft way" for years.. looks like my luck has run out...

I don't think that you'll get much else than Blender or PHP-GTK - so from that perspective
I'd hazard a guess that your not going to be finding anything that will allow you use php
for desktop development in the way you require.

come to think of it M$ has been doing something to shoehorn PHP into the .NET env ... I have
no idea whether this would be anything that could bare fruit for you, you'd have to google.

as an alternative you might consider Adobe Flex Builder - you get WYSIWYG-ness, you can leverage javascript
skills (by way of ActionScript) and it's runs on the AIR platform - so it's nice and desktoppy but
with the added bonus of being cross-platform. just a thought.

From: Robert Cummings on
Ryan S wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Coming from a C and Java background I just loved PHP and have been programming with it for years thanks in a large part to the kind people on this list... present and past (Immediately the name John Holmes comes to mind.. i hope the dude is well)
> but now I have have to leave PHP or split time between php and .NET for just one reason:
>
> .NET offers a way to run programs using the Windows GUI / stand alone executable
>
> There always was talk on the list about running php code as standalone, but since I had a long absence from the list sorry if I missed any new updates... but I'm hoping someone can offer a way to run php standalone executable.
>
> Before posting I always google, and the main results I have gotten so far is:
> priado blender
> and PHP-GTK
>
> but no way to kind of drag and drop what you need like visual studio (i dont know how to use it yet, but been reading) or some other visual development tool like visual basic.
>
> I need to make a few standalones programs that will run (mostly) on Windows... is there any other way that I have not found that i can use PHP instead of learning something new like .NET?
>
> I have resisted going "the microsoft way" for years.. looks like my luck has run out...

This is not my area of familiarity but I believe there is also something
called WxWidgets (or something similarly named) for doing similar. It
may be closer to the Windows metal. I wonder too if HipHop, that new PHP
to C++ compiled binary thing from Facebook, might also have potential in
this kind of standalone arena.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: "Michael A. Peters" on
Ryan S wrote:

> I need to make a few standalones programs that will run (mostly) on
> Windows... is there any other way that I have not found that i can
> use PHP instead of learning something new like .NET?

Use the best tool for the job.

I suspect that if your primary target is MS you will have an application
that is more consistent with MS interface guidelines if you use MS tools
to develop it.

I've only played a little bit with php-gtk and just didn't "get it" but
I do know the few times I have used Windows, the gtk+ apps I used on it
always felt a bit out of place (so does iTunes, btw) on the system.

I don't know the details, but I know that at least some .NET apps can be
ported to *nix without too much trouble using mono, so by using .NET you
may not be sacrificing portability.

I'm not saying use .NET, I don't know, but if I was developing GUI
desktop apps where Windows was the primary target, I would use a Windows
native programming environment to do it as I suspect it would result
in far less headaches and far easier time finding solutions to problems
via google when I'm stumped.

I believe .NET is pretty much how it is done on Windows now (but I
really don't know, I stay away from Windows, I'm a ABM'r).

Just my 2 cents.
From: Robert Cummings on
Robert Cummings wrote:
> Ryan S wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> Coming from a C and Java background I just loved PHP and have been programming with it for years thanks in a large part to the kind people on this list... present and past (Immediately the name John Holmes comes to mind.. i hope the dude is well)
>> but now I have have to leave PHP or split time between php and .NET for just one reason:
>>
>> .NET offers a way to run programs using the Windows GUI / stand alone executable
>>
>> There always was talk on the list about running php code as standalone, but since I had a long absence from the list sorry if I missed any new updates... but I'm hoping someone can offer a way to run php standalone executable.
>>
>> Before posting I always google, and the main results I have gotten so far is:
>> priado blender
>> and PHP-GTK
>>
>> but no way to kind of drag and drop what you need like visual studio (i dont know how to use it yet, but been reading) or some other visual development tool like visual basic.
>>
>> I need to make a few standalones programs that will run (mostly) on Windows... is there any other way that I have not found that i can use PHP instead of learning something new like .NET?
>>
>> I have resisted going "the microsoft way" for years.. looks like my luck has run out...
>
> This is not my area of familiarity but I believe there is also something
> called WxWidgets (or something similarly named) for doing similar. It
> may be closer to the Windows metal. I wonder too if HipHop, that new PHP
> to C++ compiled binary thing from Facebook, might also have potential in
> this kind of standalone arena.

I just did a quick google and there's WinBinder.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Robert Cummings on

Ryan S wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Michael, Robert and Jochem,
>
> makes sense, a native windows app is going to look more in place than any of the demos and graphics i have seen of GTK.
>
> Was also looking at GTK-Builder, unfortunately you really have to hunt for each scrap of new info - which is why I'm guessing open source falls back a bit compared to M$'s offerings.
>
> MS shoehorning something into dotnet sounds interesting, will ask my pal google what he can bring up ;)
> I did read about FLEX but i have pretty much complete php scripts that i want to use in a desktop environment, FLEX wouldnt do for my (present) needs.
>
> Will look up WxWidgets and HipHop (somehow i get the feeling i'm gonna be drowned in millions of results that have rap lyrics instead of programming information - should be a test of my patience :-)) )
>
> Anyone have anything more to add/advise, please do so.

Don't look at WxWidgets, I was wrong about that... it's WinBinder you
want to look at. You shouldbe pretty good looking up HipHop if you
include PHP in the keywords list :)

In fact "php hiphop" hits the right stride in the top entries (I just
did a check :) Heck, hiphop alone gets you some of the info on the PHP
version in the first page of results.

Cheers,
Rob.
--