From: Barry Watzman on
This is not what I call a counterfeit CPU; a "counterfeit" cpu is at
least a real CPU (typically, a lower speed version that has been
"remarked" to be labeled as a faster CPU than it really is); this is a
hunk of metal, and the "fan" is a photo of a fan and some foam rubber or
plastic.

But, regardless, "someone has some 'splainin to do".

From: Percival P. Cassidy on
On 03/05/10 07:22 pm, William wrote:

> Newegg unknowingly got a hold of a bad batch of Core i7-920 CPU's from a
> distributor who passed some counterfeits into the order. Apparently
> about 200 out of 1000 purchased have these plastic fan/heat sinks units
> with faked CPU's in the box. The box is a bad knock-off and leads one to
> the conclusion the counterfeits originates in China, (grammar and
> spelling is bad.)
>
> To make thing even worse for NewEgg, HardOCP is all over this story
> giving NewEgg a hard time about the problem. See it at:
> http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/05/newegg_selling_fake_intel_cpus .
>
> So all you builders of motherboards using i7 cpu's purchased from NewEgg
> better take a close look at the parts you just received from NewEgg
> before the week end builders party begins.

Some 25 years ago I was told that Sony UK ended up with a bunch of fake
"Sony" audio cassettes in their own warehouse! It was conjectured that
somebody bought a few cases of the genuine ones then returned the
packages for credit with the fakes inside.

By a similar method, Intel themselves could have ended up with fakes in
their warehouse. Or the scan could have been perpetrated against NewEgg
-- or is NewEgg simply an order-taker, with the goods actually being
shipped by Ingram Micro or whoever?

Perce