From: NoOp on
On 03/19/2010 01:40 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2010/03/19 2:01 PM Michael Adams wrote:
>> Increasingly due to this and other issues, I am coming to see gmane as broken
>> for anyone seriously attempting to help on these lists.
>
> What new issue? Gmane has always called the users list questions. This
> is quite clear on the OO.o support page and on gmane as well. I would
> never go back to using the mail list. I do not see anything as broken
> using gmane.

+1

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Andreas Saeger on
Robert Holtzman wrote:

> If that was an attempt at humor, it sure didn't come across that way. If
> not, since when is a list that's named discuss(a)openoffice.org not a list to
> discuss openoffice.org?

Since the beginning of the "Ethernal September" in the openoffice.org
domain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

The amount of meta-topics on unsuscribe, unsubscribed authors, gmane,
attachments, Tofu etc becomes almost as distracting as spam, particulary
on questions(a)openoffice.org.

Today's facebook people do not understand mailing lists.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Michael on
On 3/20/2010 4:38 AM, Andreas Saeger wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
>> If that was an attempt at humor, it sure didn't come across that way. If
>> not, since when is a list that's named discuss(a)openoffice.org not a
>> list to
>> discuss openoffice.org?
>
> Since the beginning of the "Ethernal September" in the openoffice.org
> domain.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
>
> The amount of meta-topics on unsuscribe, unsubscribed authors, gmane,
> attachments, Tofu etc becomes almost as distracting as spam,
> particulary on questions(a)openoffice.org.
>
> Today's facebook people do not understand mailing lists.

I belong to to several mailing lists. I get messages from all those who
are subscribed and my email program sorts them into their respective
folders. I also follow a few newsgroups on Usenet using the same email
program. I followed this list via Usenet for the longest time before I
realized it was also accessible as a "mailing list." My question is,
how common is it for mailing lists to be accessible via Usenet? This
one is the only one that I use that does this. I also think this is
(partially) some of the reason for the confusion for some of the readers.

Related, of all of the mailing lists I belong to, this is the only one
where people who are NOT subscribed can send and post messages. This
makes no sense to me whatsoever.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Larry Gusaas on
On 2010/03/20 9:20 AM Michael wrote:
> I followed this list via Usenet for the longest time before I
> realized it was also accessible as a "mailing list." My question is,
> how common is it for mailing lists to be accessible via Usenet?

The following is from http://www.gmane.com/ .Note the 12,120 mailing
lists subscribed.

Gmane is a mailing list archive.
Any public mailing list can be carried by Gmane, but the vast
majority of the lists here deal with free software.
For more information about the project, read the about page.
There are currently *12,120 mailing lists* subscribed to Gmane, with
a total of 94,461,335 messages.

> This one is the only one that I use that does this. I also think this
> is (partially) some of the reason for the confusion for some of the
> readers.

Why would it cause confusion? Works well for me and anyone else using gmane.

> Related, of all of the mailing lists I belong to, this is the only one
> where people who are NOT subscribed can send and post messages. This
> makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Agreed.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org