From: Michael on
On 3/5/2010 4:28 AM, Michael Adams wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2010 06:32, Jon Thompson wrote:
>
>> email me back if this is a valid email to join the mailing list to discuss
>> open office
>> jon
>>
> Indeed this is the list to *discuss* OpenOffice.org. The one to help users
> with their issues is the user list. To make suggestions or Requests For
> Enhancement - RFE's try the Quality Assurance - QA website (Check a
> suggestion is not already under consideration)

There seems to be some incongruency here. I see that the email for this
list is discuss(a)openoffice.org. However, I monitor the list through
gmane on usenet and the newsgroup name is
gmane.comp.openoffice.general. After scanning through the list of
available newsgroups containing 'openoffice', the
gmane.comp.openoffice.general seems to be the the help/users lists. If
this is not it, what one should I be using?

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Dave Barton on
Michael wrote:
> On 3/5/2010 4:28 AM, Michael Adams wrote:
>> On Thursday 04 March 2010 06:32, Jon Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> email me back if this is a valid email to join the mailing list to
>>> discuss
>>> open office
>>> jon
>>>
>> Indeed this is the list to *discuss* OpenOffice.org. The one to help
>> users
>> with their issues is the user list. To make suggestions or Requests For
>> Enhancement - RFE's try the Quality Assurance - QA website (Check a
>> suggestion is not already under consideration)
>>

> There seems to be some incongruency here. I see that the email for this
> list is discuss(a)openoffice.org. However, I monitor the list through
> gmane on usenet and the newsgroup name is
> gmane.comp.openoffice.general. After scanning through the list of
> available newsgroups containing 'openoffice', the
> gmane.comp.openoffice.general seems to be the the help/users lists. If
> this is not it, what one should I be using?

gmane.comp.openoffice.questions

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Larry Gusaas on
On 2010/03/19 2:01 PM Michael Adams wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2010 03:39, Dave Barton wrote:
>
>> Michael wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>>> There seems to be some incongruency here. I see that the email for this
>>> list is discuss(a)openoffice.org. However, I monitor the list through
>>> gmane on usenet and the newsgroup name is
>>> gmane.comp.openoffice.general. After scanning through the list of
>>> available newsgroups containing 'openoffice', the
>>> gmane.comp.openoffice.general seems to be the the help/users lists. If
>>> this is not it, what one should I be using?
>>>
>> gmane.comp.openoffice.questions
>>

> Increasingly due to this and other issues, I am coming to see gmane as broken
> for anyone seriously attempting to help on these lists.

What new issue? Gmane has always called the users list questions. This
is quite clear on the OO.o support page and on gmane as well. I would
never go back to using the mail list. I do not see anything as broken
using gmane.

> AFAICT it is
> impossible through gmane to sort unsubscribed users. This new issue, though
> it may only be one of confusion, only serves to support my belief.

Look for "Delivered-To: moderator for ..." in the message header.

> Almost all of us have a "normal" email client which allows sorting of mails to
> sub-folders based on "From:" and other filter methods. This seems the better
> method to me IMHO.

Some newsgroup readers can sort for the header. Some (Thunderbird for
one) can't. The real problem is allowing unsubscribed posts to the
mailing list.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Andreas Saeger on
Jon Thompson wrote:
> email me back if this is a valid email to join the mailing list to discuss open office
>
> jon

Forget it. This mailing list is about mailing list issues. If you want
to discuss the software called OpenOffice.org register at

Andreas

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Bob Long on
> On 3/5/2010 4:28 AM, Michael Adams wrote:

[..]

> There seems to be some incongruency here. I see that the email for this
> list is discuss(a)openoffice.org. However, I monitor the list through
> gmane on usenet and the newsgroup name is gmane.comp.openoffice.general.
> After scanning through the list of available newsgroups containing
> 'openoffice', the gmane.comp.openoffice.general seems to be the the
> help/users lists. If this is not it, what one should I be using?

http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html explains the purpose of each
list and corresponding Newsgroup.

--
Bob Long

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org