From: Volker Lendecke on
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 10:06:40AM -0400, Ludovic Rouse-Lamarre wrote:
> I am currently in the process of improving performance for a Samba 3.3.4
> server on FreeBSD 7.0. The samba server works great when mounted from
> another machine located on the same network but when I try to use it
> over our corporate VPN (OpenVPN with tap interface) the throughput won't
> go over 4,5 Mbps. The ping between the samba client and the server is
> around 20ms. I have used a linux machine on amazon's elastic cloud to
> connect to the corporate VPN and mount the samba share located on our
> web host. There is at least 20 Mbps of bandwidth available between the
> two in both ways.
>
> I have also tested the throughput from our Montreal office where we have
> a 10 Mbps download. I have tested with fedora, windows 7 and windows xp
> and I can't get more than 4 or 5 Mbps there.
>
> Is this situation to be expected or should I be getting better throughput?

Try the smbclient get command. That should be better.
If it is, everything else is pretty much a client problem.

Volker
You are right. Speeds are amazing with smbclient. I got 6Mbps in
Montreal and 16Mbps on amazon. When using filezilla I observed the block
size was much bigger with smbclient. It is 16KB when mounting with fstab
cifs and its 128KB with smbclient. I am guessing this is what needs to
be fixed, right? We mostly use windows XP professional but we also have
mac and fedora. Any tips on how to fix our clients?

Thanks so much,
Ludovic

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:15:58AM -0400, Ludovic Rouse-Lamarre wrote:
> You are right. Speeds are amazing with smbclient. I got 6Mbps in
> Montreal and 16Mbps on amazon. When using filezilla I observed the block
> size was much bigger with smbclient. It is 16KB when mounting with fstab
> cifs and its 128KB with smbclient. I am guessing this is what needs to
> be fixed, right?

That's one thing. The parallel issue of multiple requests
that smbclient does is the other one.

> We mostly use windows XP professional but we also have
> mac and fedora. Any tips on how to fix our clients?

You might want to talk to Microsoft, Apple or the Fedora
Project about these issues.

But honestly -- I don't see this will significantly improve.
Network file systems are just not made for high latencies.
The only one I know that might have a chance is OpenAFS.

Volker