From: TomT on
"Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:

>Nothing in /usr/local, time for some deeper digging...

There won't be anything in /usr/local until you cd there, su to root,
then untar (while /usr/local is your default directory). I'm sorry I
didn't make that clear. (As I'm sure you're aware, wherever the tarball
is is irrelevant as long as you point to it while you're "in"
/usr/local.

>$ which thunderbird
>/usr/bin/thunderbird
>$ ls -l /usr/bin/thunderbird
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 2009-06-06 10:11 /usr/bin/thunderbird ->
>/usr/lib/thunderbird-2.0.0.18/thunderbird
>$ ls -l /usr/lib | grep thunderbird
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-06-06 10:11 thunderbird -> thunderbird-
>2.0.0.18
>drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 2008-11-20 16:05 thunderbird-2.0.0.18/

Right, the above is your current installation.

>OK, su to root, untar into /usr/lib, rename the directory to
>thunderbird-3.1.1, and change the links... AAUGH! Typos!
>What was that other thing with 42? Oh yeah, don't panic.
>OK, got it now. Thanks.

Well that should work. It'll wipe out your current installation though.
With Slack I guess it doesn't matter since I think you pretty much build
that yourself. I'm using Debian and I like to keep what I install
separate from what the distribution installs. (Especially if I'm
installing another version of the same thing!)

TomT
From: Charlie Gibbs on
In article <h6uo56h8cl3v4mvj7e3o2nkob644ld76cs(a)4ax.com>,
TomT(a)UnrealBox.invalid (TomT) writes:

> "Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Nothing in /usr/local, time for some deeper digging...
>
> There won't be anything in /usr/local until you cd there, su to root,
> then untar (while /usr/local is your default directory). I'm sorry
> I didn't make that clear. (As I'm sure you're aware, wherever the
> tarball is is irrelevant as long as you point to it while you're
> "in" /usr/local.

Right. Once I noticed that the old release was in /usr/lib instead
of /usr/local I decided to work there instead. I don't know why
the binary should be there, but the tarball contains lots of libraries
(lib*.so); perhaps the original installers wanted to keep everything
in one place, and the libraries won by sheer force of numbers.

>> OK, su to root, untar into /usr/lib, rename the directory to
>> thunderbird-3.1.1, and change the links... AAUGH! Typos!
>> What was that other thing with 42? Oh yeah, don't panic.
>> OK, got it now. Thanks.
>
> Well that should work. It'll wipe out your current installation
> though.

Actually, it didn't. I now have two directories in /usr/lib:
thunderbird-2.0.0.18 and thunderbird-3.1.1. I run Thunderbird
from a shell prompt, which finds a symbolic link in /usr/bin;
it was just a matter of changing that link to point to
/usr/lib/thunderbird-3.1.1/thunderbird. By changing it
back I could roll back to the old version. The data files
are all in /home so they remain intact.

It all feels a bit ugly, but at least it works.

--
/~\ cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

From: TomT on
"Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:

<snipped some stuff>

>I now have two directories in /usr/lib:
>thunderbird-2.0.0.18 and thunderbird-3.1.1. I run Thunderbird
>from a shell prompt, which finds a symbolic link in /usr/bin;
>it was just a matter of changing that link to point to
>/usr/lib/thunderbird-3.1.1/thunderbird. By changing it
>back I could roll back to the old version. The data files
>are all in /home so they remain intact.
>
>It all feels a bit ugly, but at least it works.

Good. I'm sorry I don't have any further suggestions but as time goes
on you'll probably find a way to simplify.

TomT