From: commiebastard on
Something went wonky with my Time Machine backup.

I've got 67.71 GB of data on my hard drive that needs to be backed up,
but all of a sudden, during one of my routine backup sessions on Time
Machine, it said that the required space for this one incremental
backup was 77.75 GB of space (more than all of the data on my hard
drive combined). I tried backing up manually several times, but
decided to delete my Backup.db file and start over again.

So, I deleted my Backup.db file in the trash and turned off backups on
Time Machine, and turned it back on, and re-selected the backup volume
I had used before to start over. But even after starting Time Machine
over again from scratch, it is still saying that 77.75 GB of space is
required for the fresh backup even though the data on my hard drive is
only 67.71 GB. I am backing up again from scratch, so I don't know
what is causing this difference. I just want to start backups over
again from scratch.
From: commiebastard on
On Jul 26, 9:13 am, commiebastard <oraclmas...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Something went wonky with my Time Machine backup.
>
> I've got 67.71 GB of data on my hard drive that needs to be backed up,
> but all of a sudden, during one of my routine backup sessions on Time
> Machine, it said that the required space for this one incremental
> backup was 77.75 GB of space (more than all of the data on my hard
> drive combined). I tried backing up manually several times, but
> decided to delete my Backup.db file and start over again.
>
> So, I deleted my Backup.db file in the trash and turned off backups on
> Time Machine, and turned it back on, and re-selected the backup volume
> I had used before to start over. But even after starting Time Machine
> over again from scratch, it is still saying that 77.75 GB of space is
> required for the fresh backup even though the data on my hard drive is
> only 67.71 GB. I am backing up again from scratch, so I don't know
> what is causing this difference. I just want to start backups over
> again from scratch.

I tried deleting my Backup.db file again after my second attempt at
starting Time Machine over from scratch and am now getting (Error Code
-8072) and the file won't be deleted.
From: Vincent Parry on
On 7/26/10 9:13 AM, commiebastard wrote:
> Something went wonky with my Time Machine backup.
>
> I've got 67.71 GB of data on my hard drive that needs to be backed up,
> but all of a sudden, during one of my routine backup sessions on Time
> Machine, it said that the required space for this one incremental
> backup was 77.75 GB of space (more than all of the data on my hard
> drive combined). I tried backing up manually several times, but
> decided to delete my Backup.db file and start over again.
>
> So, I deleted my Backup.db file in the trash and turned off backups on
> Time Machine, and turned it back on, and re-selected the backup volume
> I had used before to start over. But even after starting Time Machine
> over again from scratch, it is still saying that 77.75 GB of space is
> required for the fresh backup even though the data on my hard drive is
> only 67.71 GB. I am backing up again from scratch, so I don't know
> what is causing this difference. I just want to start backups over
> again from scratch.

With a screen name like that, you expect help here? Email Uncle Joe ;-)
From: commiebastard on
On Jul 26, 3:40 pm, Vincent Parry <vi...(a)darkpassage.net> wrote:
> On 7/26/10 9:13 AM,commiebastardwrote:
>

> > Something went wonky with my Time Machine backup.
>
> > I've got 67.71 GB of data on my hard drive that needs to be backed up,
> > but all of a sudden, during one of my routine backup sessions on Time
> > Machine, it said that the required space for this one incremental
> > backup was 77.75 GB of space (more than all of the data on my hard
> > drive combined). I tried backing up manually several times, but
> > decided to delete my Backup.db file and start over again.
>
> > So, I deleted my Backup.db file in the trash and turned off backups on
> > Time Machine, and turned it back on, and re-selected the backup volume
> > I had used before to start over. But even after starting Time Machine
> > over again from scratch, it is still saying that 77.75 GB of space is
> > required for the fresh backup even though the data on my hard drive is
> > only 67.71 GB. I am backing up again from scratch, so I don't know
> > what is causing this difference. I just want to start backups over
> > again from scratch.
>
> With a screen name like that, you expect help here? Email Uncle Joe ;-)

Silly me for thinking America was still a free country.