From: Bob Pownall on
After 6.5 years of faithful service, it's finally time to replace my
Inspiron 8500. (Still works OK, but I'm starting to see things which
make me wonder if it's about to head downhill.)

Among the major vendors, I'm looking at Dell and Toshiba laptops. (For
various reasons, I'd prefer not to get an HP.)

I'm kind of leaning towards another Dell, not least because of this forum.

So, any suggestions for a base laptop plus recommended add-ons? I'm
looking for a laptop to be my primary system. I'm not a gamer nor do I
watch DVDs on my current laptop. (The DVD aspect might change, though.)

As I said, I'm leaning towards Dell, but if you think Toshiba has a
sweet system, I'm open to hearing about it.

Bob Pownall
From: Bob Levine on
"Bob Pownall" <repownall(a)netscape.net> wrote in message
> After 6.5 years of faithful service, it's finally time to replace my
> Inspiron 8500. (Still works OK, but I'm starting to see things which make
> me wonder if it's about to head downhill.)
>
> Among the major vendors, I'm looking at Dell and Toshiba laptops. (For
> various reasons, I'd prefer not to get an HP.)
>
> I'm kind of leaning towards another Dell, not least because of this forum.
>
> So, any suggestions for a base laptop plus recommended add-ons? I'm
> looking for a laptop to be my primary system. I'm not a gamer nor do I
> watch DVDs on my current laptop. (The DVD aspect might change, though.)
>
> As I said, I'm leaning towards Dell, but if you think Toshiba has a sweet
> system, I'm open to hearing about it.
>
> Bob Pownall

Budget? Size? Weight?

Vostro 1720 is nice desktop replacement with a full keyboard and nice
graphics. But it's rather heavy.

Bob

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

I'd go for a Latitude E5400 or E5500 myself. Both are nice, well made
systems with good battery life (so long as you select a Core series
processor).

William
From: Bob Pownall on
Bob Levine wrote:

> Budget? Size? Weight?

Yeah, I posted late last night and this morning I realized I should have
mentioned those things. Haven't had a chance to get back on till now.

Budget: Prefer under $1k, but willing to go somewhat higher
Size & weight: Similar to my existing Inspiron. Say 16" diagonal screen
and around 6 lbs. I'm a pretty big guy, so weight isn't as big a deal
for me as it might be for some people.

> Vostro 1720 is nice desktop replacement with a full keyboard and nice
> graphics. But it's rather heavy.

Thanks - I'll take a look at it.

From: me on
Bob Pownall <repownall(a)netscape.net> wrote:

>I'm kind of leaning towards another Dell, not least because of this forum.

That is a good point..... I lean towards Dell as well
BECAUSE of this news group!

Having peer to peer newsgroup has come in VERY handy
when owning things..... computers, cars, etc.