From: Uncle Al on
Ned wrote:

> "Uncle Al" <UncleAl0(a)hate.spam.net> wrote in message
> > Ned wrote:
> >> TITANOMACHY
> >> "We don't murder our fathers enough.
> >> That's why we're going extinct." - MMT 11/07
> >> The Higgs boson is at hand!
> > [snip]
> >
> > Doubtful. The Higgs is a jury rig to the 100% massless Standard
> > Model. The Higgs mechanism requires that all fundamental masses be
> > explicitly inserted. There is no reason to expect the Higgs will
> > appear at CERN with any greater probability than the Tooth Fairy
> > redesigning Japanese jaws.
> >

> Ohhh... a critic! Keep your hands off my boson. This is the
> be-all, the end-all, the LAST particle, the finishing touch on
> the final filigree of the pluperfectest theory of EVERYTHING!
>
> Just you wait! You'll be bowing down to CERN within two years.
[snip]

Doubtful. No Higgs.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
From: James Whitehead on

> Ned wrote:
>>
>> "Uncle Al" <UncleAl0(a)hate.spam.net> wrote in message
>> > [snip]
>> >
>> > Doubtful. The Higgs is a jury rig to the 100% massless Standard
>> > Model. The Higgs mechanism requires that all fundamental masses be
>> > explicitly inserted. There is no reason to expect the Higgs will
>> > appear at CERN with any greater probability than the Tooth Fairy
>> > redesigning Japanese jaws.
>> >

>> Ohhh... a critic! Keep your hands off my boson. This is the
>> be-all, the end-all, the LAST particle, the finishing touch on
>> the final filigree of the pluperfectest theory of EVERYTHING!
>>
>> Just you wait! You'll be bowing down to CERN within two years.
> [snip]
>
> Doubtful. No Higgs.

says lord Kalvin?

From: Ned on

"James Whitehead" <james(a)somewhereovertherainbow.com> wrote in message

>>> Ohhh... a critic! Keep your hands off my boson. This is the
>>> be-all, the end-all, the LAST particle, the finishing touch on
>>> the final filigree of the pluperfectest theory of EVERYTHING!
>>> Just you wait! You'll be bowing down to CERN within two years.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Doubtful. No Higgs.
>>
> says lord Kalvin?

Kalvin and Higgs? A bratty little boy and his make-believe
friend? Sounds like the history of religion.

Ned

From: Don Shepherd on
Uncle Al wrote:

> Ned wrote:
>
>>"Uncle Al" <UncleAl0(a)hate.spam.net> wrote in message

>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>Doubtful. The Higgs is a jury rig to the 100% massless Standard
>>>Model. The Higgs mechanism requires that all fundamental masses be
>>>explicitly inserted. There is no reason to expect the Higgs will
>>>appear at CERN with any greater probability than the Tooth Fairy
>>>redesigning Japanese jaws.
>>>

>> Ohhh... a critic! Keep your hands off my boson. This is the
>>be-all, the end-all, the LAST particle, the finishing touch on
>>the final filigree of the pluperfectest theory of EVERYTHING!
>>
>> Just you wait! You'll be bowing down to CERN within two years.
>
> [snip]
>
> Doubtful. No Higgs.

We're all bosons on this bus.

Don
From: Ned on

"tadchem" <tadchem(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>> I don't buy it. The earth's rotation is slowing down. It is
>> slowing down for the same reason that the moon (and all moons)
>> slow down and ultimately present the same 'face' to the object
>> they are circling: The gravitational pull of the larger object
>> inhibits the rotation of the smaller object.
>
> What you are saying here is that "The gravitational pull of the
> larger object (Earth) inhibits the rotation of the smaller object
> (the moon)", which is a fait accompli. The moon no longer rotates
> relative to the gradient in the earth's gravitational field.
> What you are ignoring (or mis-stating) is that the *differential*
> gravitation (tide-raising force) works both ways, so the moon's
> gravitation (and to a lesser extent the sun's as well) is what
> is slowing the earth's rotation.
> The earth is not perfectly rigid. It flexes as it spins in the
> moon's gravity because the part that is facing the moon feels a
> stronger gravitational effect from the moon than the part facing
> away from the moon.
> Tidal friction converts kinetic energy of rotation to thermal
> energy, while the total angular momentum of the system is
> conserved.
> The earth is still spinning fast, but friction from the interaction
> with the moon's gravitational field raises tides in the water and
> the land, heating both while slowing down rotation. When the earth
> has slowed enough that it keeps one face towards the moon, then the
> interaction with the moon's gravity will no longer produce tides,
> and the sun's gravity will become the main factor slowing down the
> rotation of the earth.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking
> http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/tides.html
> http://www.jal.cc.il.us/~mikolajsawicki/tides_new2.pdf
> Eventually, if the sun, earth, and moon last that long, the moon
> and earth will recombine and become a single body locked into
> position facing the sun (at the moment I don't want to calculate
> how long that may take).
> Tom Davidson
> Richmond, VA

Oh, take a shot. Is it more like a billion years or more
like a 100 million years?

But one question... If all motion is relative, how does
the earth know that the moon is revolving around IT, rather
than IT revolving around the moon?

Ned