From: Francois Vogel on
Hi experts,

Apparently I have found a way to make wish freeze when moving the
cursor in a text widget containing elided text.

Here is the test case to reproduce every time, which I just paste in wish:

package require Tk
info patchlevel ;# spits 8.5.7 for me (ActiveState version)
text .t
pack .t
..t insert end "Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest\n"
..t insert end "Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!\n"
..t insert end "Drink and the devil had done for the rest \n"
..t insert end "Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!\n"
..t insert end "\nFifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest\n"
..t insert end "a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson\n"
..t tag add hidden 2.10 3.15
..t tag configure hidden -elide true

# now :
# 1. click in the text widget to place the cursor just
# before the letter D of the word "Dead" (1st line)
# 2. press the down arrow once on the keyboard
# 3. press the up arrow once on the keyboard
# ==> wish is frozen with 100% CPU

This happens for me on Win Vista 64 bits OS, with the ActiveState
binary distribution of Tcl/Tk version 8.5.7 (32 bits).

Any thoughts on this? Are you able to reproduce?

I cannot see why this would not be a bug, but I nevertheless have
doubts since I would be very surprised to find such a bug in Tcl/Tk,
which has a very high quality level. That's why I'm asking for
comments before eventually filing a bug report at SF.

Thanks,
Francois
From: Georgios Petasis on
στις 25/6/2010 22:59, O/H Francois Vogel έγραψε:
> Hi experts,
>
> Apparently I have found a way to make wish freeze when moving the cursor
> in a text widget containing elided text.
>
> Here is the test case to reproduce every time, which I just paste in wish:
>
> package require Tk
> info patchlevel ;# spits 8.5.7 for me (ActiveState version)
> text .t
> pack .t
> .t insert end "Fifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest\n"
> .t insert end "Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!\n"
> .t insert end "Drink and the devil had done for the rest \n"
> .t insert end "Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!\n"
> .t insert end "\nFifteen men on the Dead Man's Chest\n"
> .t insert end "a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson\n"
> .t tag add hidden 2.10 3.15
> .t tag configure hidden -elide true
>
> # now :
> # 1. click in the text widget to place the cursor just
> # before the letter D of the word "Dead" (1st line)
> # 2. press the down arrow once on the keyboard
> # 3. press the up arrow once on the keyboard
> # ==> wish is frozen with 100% CPU
>

> This happens for me on Win Vista 64 bits OS, with the ActiveState binary
> distribution of Tcl/Tk version 8.5.7 (32 bits).
>
> Any thoughts on this? Are you able to reproduce?
>
> I cannot see why this would not be a bug, but I nevertheless have doubts
> since I would be very surprised to find such a bug in Tcl/Tk, which has
> a very high quality level. That's why I'm asking for comments before
> eventually filing a bug report at SF.
>
> Thanks,
> Francois

Yes, it happens also under ActiveState's 8.6 beta 3, windows 7 64 bit.
Can you please file a bug on sourceforge for this?

George
From: Francois Vogel on
Georgios Petasis said on 25/06/2010 22:07:
> Can you please file a bug on sourceforge for this?

Done: #3021557

Francois

From: Kroc on
On 25 juin, 21:59, Francois Vogel <fsvogelnew5NOS...(a)free.fr> wrote:
> Are you able to reproduce?
It also froze my Mac OS 10.6.4 with tclkit 8.5.8

--
David Zolli
From: Francois Vogel on
Thanks to all for your testing.

I have added your findings in the bug report:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3021557&group_id=12997&atid=112997

Anyone willing to look at this issue?
It's a showstopper for me, therefore I will certainly try to find a
cause for it in the source code. However I'm not familiar with the
current Tk codebase and hints would be appreciated.

Francois