From: Axel on

> Probably, not easy. But it will not so difficult as you think.
> By using Tclkit and some experiments, I've already succeeded to make
> a tcltklib.so merged a Tcl/Tk environment and create a TclTkIp object
> with Tk (of course, the version of Tcl/Tk is the one of the merged) on
> Ruby with the tcltklib.so.

Great!

Thank you for your efforts!

Axel

From: mdiam on
On Feb 18, 11:56 pm, Hidetoshi NAGAI <na...(a)ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:

> > > I think that a monolithic tcltklib.so library is one of the solutions
> > > to avoid such kind of troubles.
>
> Probably, not easy. But it will not so difficult as you think.
> By using Tclkit and some experiments, I've already succeeded to make
> a tcltklib.so merged a Tcl/Tk environment and create a TclTkIp object
> with Tk (of course, the version of Tcl/Tk is the one of the merged) on
> Ruby with the tcltklib.so.

Great, if it is possible, it would be *the* definitive solution for Tk
with Ruby.

If you have a recipe on how to build this full Ruby/Tk distrib from
sources, I could test it on Macosx and some linux.
These source would be :
- ruby-1.9xxx
- tcltk-8.5xxx or tcltk-8.6xxx

My idea would be to create a stand alone ruby sumo distrib (rubylab ?)
with Ruby + Tk + Qt + FFI + some science selected extensions.
(This would be the last alternative before switching from Ruby to
Pihton :-( )

But as I'm not very clever in compilation, this will take some
time...

Cordialement,
-- Maurice
From: saLOUt on
On 19 Feb., 10:48, mdiam <maurice.diamant...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > Probably, not easy. But it will not so difficult as you think.
> > By using Tclkit and some experiments, I've already succeeded to make
> > a tcltklib.so merged a Tcl/Tk environment and create a TclTkIp object
> > with Tk (of course, the version of Tcl/Tk is the one of the merged) on
> > Ruby with the tcltklib.so.
>
> Great, if it is possible, it would be *the* definitive solution for Tk
> with Ruby.
>
> If you have a recipe on how to build this full Ruby/Tk distrib from
> sources, I could test it on Macosx and some linux.
> These source would be :
> - ruby-1.9xxx
> - tcltk-8.5xxx or tcltk-8.6xxx
>
> My idea would be to create a stand alone ruby sumo distrib (rubylab ?)
> with  Ruby + Tk + Qt + FFI + some science selected extensions.
> (This would be the last alternative before switching from Ruby to
> Pihton :-( )
>
> But as I'm not very clever in compilation, this will take some
> time...
>
> Cordialement,
> -- Maurice

Didn't read everything. Just want to mention that there will be a Qt-
Ruby-Gem for Windows release very soon. For Linux there should be pre-
build packages available for most common distributions.

First adress for ruby + Qt/KDE: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bindings

Robert
From: Roger Pack on

> If you have a recipe on how to build this full Ruby/Tk distrib from
> sources, I could test it on Macosx and some linux.
> These source would be :
> - ruby-1.9xxx
> - tcltk-8.5xxx or tcltk-8.6xxx
>
> My idea would be to create a stand alone ruby sumo distrib (rubylab ?)
> with Ruby + Tk + Qt + FFI + some science selected extensions.
> (This would be the last alternative before switching from Ruby to
> Pihton :-( )

The only real cross platform distro I'm aware of is "rawr" for jruby.
If all you need is swing or the eclipse swt you're good to go (there's
examples of ruby wrapping the swt in the redcar project).
-r

From: Axel on

> Maybe. My plan is not only one. It's one of the solutions.
>
> > > I think that a monolithic tcltklib.so library is one of the solutions
> > > to avoid such kind of troubles.
> > > # way, we can get a single executable file include all environment.

One more thought, on my feeling from what I read in this newsgroup
about Ruby/Tk on Windows:
_Until_ a very good solution is available, I think, it would be good
to have a clear description on how to install Ruby/Tk on Windows,
using for example ActiveTCL, and having binaries for download.
Something like Roger Pack provides, but even more.

Axel