From: nzrdb6 on
I've inherited a bit of a mess. My employer is a majot form but
they've never had a DBA!!!!! I've got 30 instances with 600 DBs in
total. Unfortunately, none of the DBs were ever sized properly at the
outset, so many DBs have too much logcial file space. Now I know it's
a DBA no-no to auto shrink, but in my circumstance should I do a
blanket shrink once a week, targetting 10% free space followed
immediately by an index defrag?

Just a jobbing DBA trying to bring some order into a world of chaos!

Thanks Gurus
From: Tibor Karaszi on
One-time shrink can be more or less necessary if you inherit a system and
want to clean up some mess. But remember that both data and log files will
bump up to a certain size for a reason and keep growing and shrinking files
will just cost. So, do it once for those you feel you will benefit from the
returned disk space, but leave some 20-50% free space in data files and have
"comfortable" size for log files.

I guess you already seen:
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: John Bell on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 08:10:45 -0700 (PDT), nzrdb6
<alex.campbell(a)sqltechconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

>I've inherited a bit of a mess. My employer is a majot form but
>they've never had a DBA!!!!! I've got 30 instances with 600 DBs in
>total. Unfortunately, none of the DBs were ever sized properly at the
>outset, so many DBs have too much logcial file space. Now I know it's
>a DBA no-no to auto shrink, but in my circumstance should I do a
>blanket shrink once a week, targetting 10% free space followed
>immediately by an index defrag?
>
>Just a jobbing DBA trying to bring some order into a world of chaos!
>
>Thanks Gurus

Hi

I am not sure why you think you should need to regularly shrink the
database????

Expanding the database costs resource and can cause poor performance
especially if you have lots of database all trying to expand
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi/archive/2007/02/25/leaking-roof-and-file-shrinking.aspx
Therefore autoshrink and a scheduled shrink are going to have the same
issues.

If over the course of the week (or some other period) the data in the
files expands and contracts then you should size them so that they
don't have to expand.

If the the database files are a size which they are not likely to hit
in a significant period of time, then you may want to do a single
shrink activity if reclaiming the space will be beneficial.

John
From: TheSQLGuru on
Agree with Tibor. ONE TIME this could be feasible of you have a VERY high
percentage of free space in the database files. Weekly - absolutely not! I
recommend to my clients to leave 12-18 months of future growth as free space
in their database files.

Oh, and I STRONGLY recommend you have your company hire a professional to
give their system a very thorough review. Their are likely MANY issues that
need to be fixed, some of which could put the company at risk.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.