From: coltrane on
I have sqlserver 2008 installed. I am creating a program in visualstudio
2008, although I have the same problem in VS 2010.
When I try to create a connection to the sqlserver the server connection
is not listed. Are there any tricks I need to do?

thanks for the help

john

From: John Bell on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 12:16:39 -0400, coltrane <tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have sqlserver 2008 installed. I am creating a program in visualstudio
>2008, although I have the same problem in VS 2010.
>When I try to create a connection to the sqlserver the server connection
>is not listed. Are there any tricks I need to do?
>
>thanks for the help
>
>john

Hi John

The browaser service is probably not running. If you start it and do a
refresh the instances available should appear in the drop down list.

John
From: Olaf Helper on
Hello Coltrane,

in Visual Studio you can only create "user instances" with the wizard, means
you can create a .mdf file runing in SQL Server Express Edition as a user
instance.
To create a Sql Server database, you need Sql Server + Sql Server Management
Studio.
In your project you only have to instance a new SqlConnection with a
connection string addressing the Sql Server + database + security infos.

Greetings,
Olaf Helper

From: coltrane on
On 5/4/2010 2:54 PM, John Bell wrote:
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 12:16:39 -0400, coltrane<tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have sqlserver 2008 installed. I am creating a program in visualstudio
>> 2008, although I have the same problem in VS 2010.
>> When I try to create a connection to the sqlserver the server connection
>> is not listed. Are there any tricks I need to do?
>>
>> thanks for the help
>>
>> john
>

> Hi John
>
> The browaser service is probably not running. If you start it and do a
> refresh the instances available should appear in the drop down list.
>
> John
I do not see a browser service listed in the configuration manager.
Should the browser be installed by default?

thanks
From: coltrane on
On 5/4/2010 2:54 PM, John Bell wrote:
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 12:16:39 -0400, coltrane<tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have sqlserver 2008 installed. I am creating a program in visualstudio
>> 2008, although I have the same problem in VS 2010.
>> When I try to create a connection to the sqlserver the server connection
>> is not listed. Are there any tricks I need to do?
>>
>> thanks for the help
>>
>> john
>

> Hi John
>
> The browaser service is probably not running. If you start it and do a
> refresh the instances available should appear in the drop down list.
>
> John
Me again,
I went into the services mmc app and manually started the browser. Now I
can select SQLExpress but I cannot see the the MSSQLSERVER instance.
Well at least I am getting closer.

john