From: Erland Sommarskog on
coltrane (tendengarci(a)yahoo.com) writes:
> No, even if I type in the machine name an instance name, i.e.
> COLTRANE\MSSQLSERVER, I still cannot connect to the server

You should only specify COLTRANE. MSSQLSERVER is the default instance
that you access without instance name.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: coltrane on
On 5/4/2010 6:10 PM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> coltrane (tendengarci(a)yahoo.com) writes:
>> No, even if I type in the machine name an instance name, i.e.
>> COLTRANE\MSSQLSERVER, I still cannot connect to the server
>
> You should only specify COLTRANE. MSSQLSERVER is the default instance
> that you access without instance name.

thanks but still no cigar. The reason I tried coltrane\mssqlserver is
that I can make a connection to sqlexpress and that is displayed as
coltrane\sqlexpress.

thanks again

john
From: coltrane on
On 5/4/2010 4:59 PM, coltrane wrote:
> On 5/4/2010 4:29 PM, John Bell wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 May 2010 15:29:34 -0400, coltrane<tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Me again,
>>> I went into the services mmc app and manually started the browser. Now I
>>> can select SQLExpress but I cannot see the the MSSQLSERVER instance.
>>> Well at least I am getting closer.
>>>
>>> john
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> The browser service will read the registry to find out what services
>> are available, so both services should appear.I assume that you can
>> type in the machine name and connect to it?
>>
>> John
> No, even if I type in the machine name an instance name, i.e.
> COLTRANE\MSSQLSERVER, I still cannot connect to the server
>
> argh!
well at least I have made a little headway. I was able to connect to
coltrane with visual studio 2010. I read that there is a problem with
visual studio 2008 but that applying sp1 should fix the problem. I guess
I should continue my work with VS 2010 and call it a day.

thanks again for your help

john
From: John Bell on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 18:21:58 -0400, coltrane <tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 5/4/2010 6:10 PM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> coltrane (tendengarci(a)yahoo.com) writes:
>>> No, even if I type in the machine name an instance name, i.e.
>>> COLTRANE\MSSQLSERVER, I still cannot connect to the server
>>
>> You should only specify COLTRANE. MSSQLSERVER is the default instance
>> that you access without instance name.
>>

>thanks but still no cigar. The reason I tried coltrane\mssqlserver is
>that I can make a connection to sqlexpress and that is displayed as
>coltrane\sqlexpress.
>
>thanks again
>
>john

SQLExpress will always be a named instance, but MSSQLSERVER is the
default instance and you should be able to connect to it with the
machine name, (local) or a period symbol .

If you know the instance name it is usually quicker to type it in
rather than using the browse/refresh option.

John