From: coltrane on
On 5/4/2010 3:16 PM, Olaf Helper wrote:
> Hello Coltrane,
>
> in Visual Studio you can only create "user instances" with the wizard, means
> you can create a .mdf file runing in SQL Server Express Edition as a user
> instance.
> To create a Sql Server database, you need Sql Server + Sql Server Management
> Studio.
> In your project you only have to instance a new SqlConnection with a
> connection string addressing the Sql Server + database + security infos.
>
> Greetings,
> Olaf Helper
>
> "coltrane" wrote:
>
>> I have sqlserver 2008 installed. I am creating a program in visualstudio
>> 2008, although I have the same problem in VS 2010.
>> When I try to create a connection to the sqlserver the server connection
>> is not listed. Are there any tricks I need to do?
>>
>> thanks for the help
>>
>> john
>>
>> .

thanks for the reply. I do not want to create a database within VS. I
just want to view the tables that exist in a MSSQLSERVER database.
I would like to be able to create database diagrams and also create linq
files. I know I can create sqlserver express databases in VS but again I
just want to view tables in an MSSQLSERVER database.
So I guess I just want to connect to an existing instance and not create
one.

thanks again for the help

john

From: Sylvain Lafontaine on
A lot of reasons may block the display of an instance in the drop down list.
However, this doesn't forbid you to conntect to it anyway: you simply have
to write its name yourself in the box.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

From: coltrane on
On 5/4/2010 3:48 PM, Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:
> A lot of reasons may block the display of an instance in the drop down list.
> However, this doesn't forbid you to conntect to it anyway: you simply have
> to write its name yourself in the box.

thanks, I tried that and then select test connection and it failed.
I hate when things that should take minutes turns into an all day afair,
argh!
From: John Bell on
On Tue, 04 May 2010 15:29:34 -0400, coltrane <tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 5/4/2010 2:54 PM, John Bell wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 May 2010 12:16:39 -0400, coltrane<tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have sqlserver 2008 installed. I am creating a program in visualstudio
>>> 2008, although I have the same problem in VS 2010.
>>> When I try to create a connection to the sqlserver the server connection
>>> is not listed. Are there any tricks I need to do?
>>>
>>> thanks for the help
>>>
>>> john
>>

>> Hi John
>>
>> The browaser service is probably not running. If you start it and do a
>> refresh the instances available should appear in the drop down list.
>>
>> John
>Me again,
>I went into the services mmc app and manually started the browser. Now I
>can select SQLExpress but I cannot see the the MSSQLSERVER instance.
>Well at least I am getting closer.
>
>john

Hi

The browser service will read the registry to find out what services
are available, so both services should appear.I assume that you can
type in the machine name and connect to it?

John
From: coltrane on
On 5/4/2010 4:29 PM, John Bell wrote:
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 15:29:34 -0400, coltrane<tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/4/2010 2:54 PM, John Bell wrote:

>>> Hi John
>>>
>>> The browaser service is probably not running. If you start it and do a
>>> refresh the instances available should appear in the drop down list.
>>>
>>> John
>> Me again,
>> I went into the services mmc app and manually started the browser. Now I
>> can select SQLExpress but I cannot see the the MSSQLSERVER instance.
>> Well at least I am getting closer.
>>
>> john
>
> Hi
>
> The browser service will read the registry to find out what services
> are available, so both services should appear.I assume that you can
> type in the machine name and connect to it?
>
> John
No, even if I type in the machine name an instance name, i.e.
COLTRANE\MSSQLSERVER, I still cannot connect to the server

argh!