From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 2/17/2010 8:50 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> Eric Jacobsen wrote:

>>> x(t) >---[R]----
>>> |----> x(t) + y(t)
>>> y(t) >---[R]----
>>>

>>> VLV
>>
>> That's two devices.
>
> A packaged op-amp is one device, but a pair of resistors it two? OK.
> Combine the resistors into a single package. Call it a center-tapped
> resistor.

Exactly. "Device" is in the eye of the beholder. Allegory and metaphor
are literary "devices". I initially wrote the simple equation of the
sum of the two signals as a notational "device". That was stretching
it, naturally, but given the open-endedness of the question I thought it
fit.

>> He must be looking for a splitter/combiner, assuming the signals are
>> electrical and the center frequency is low enough.
>
> It's a nothing problem. If he doesn't know how to combine the signals,
> his next question will be about how to use the combination. Someone
> handed him a task he doesn't understand. He has my sympathy.
>
>> Hard to say.
>
> Hard to ask. This is an analog question put to a digital newsgroup by
> someone who doesn't even understand that noise doesn't influence the
> solution.
>
> Jerry

Yup. I hope we haven't scared him off.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Eric Jacobsen wrote:

> On 2/16/2010 9:36 PM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
>

>> rgh wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> looking for a device to add two signals x(t) and y(t)
>>> x(t) - is a signal having a bandwidth of upto 5GHz
>>> y(t) - more or less noise with uniform ditribution
>>>
>>> Would appreciate some pointers/links in this direction.

>> VLV
>

> That's two devices. He must be looking for a splitter/combiner,
> assuming the signals are electrical and the center frequency is low enough.
>
> Hard to say.

Here we go:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/360369-adapter-bnc-t-female-75-ohm-6738.html

VLV