From: KellyLynch on
Please help me choose how (an API, component, library etc) can I work
with POP3 in the following task. I have no experience with POP3 and do
not know where to start.

I have C++ Win32-application (MS Visual C++ 2005 or 2008) that must:
- periodically (say once in 5 min) check a mailbox via POP3
- retrieve new messages from there, process them (the processing is
specific for the my task) and remove the processed messages.

The question is: what (an API, component, library etc) should be used
for this task? Most probably there will be several solutions - if so,
please recommend better one.

If, say, there is a ready component that resolves the task, but it is
implemented on .Net - how easy to integrate it with C++ application?

ADDITIONALLY: I should not only receive mails via POP3 but also
convert body of received mail into plain text (WCHAR* string). I mean:
to convert removing formatting elements like HTML tags (when a mail is
in HTML format) etc., leaving only text. Now I am not interested in
content of attachments - I need only mail's text.
From: Christian ASTOR on
On 22 jan, 13:24, KellyLynch <G...(a)tut.by> wrote:

> I have C++ Win32-application (MS Visual C++ 2005 or 2008) that must:
>   - periodically (say once in 5 min) check a mailbox via POP3
>   - retrieve new messages from there, process them (the processing is
> specific for the my task) and remove the processed messages.

You can use Winsock + RFC 1725
From: KellyLynch on
On 22 янв, 23:03, Christian ASTOR <casto...(a)club-internet.fr> wrote:
> On 22 jan, 13:24, KellyLynch <G...(a)tut.by> wrote:
>
> > I have C++ Win32-application (MS Visual C++ 2005 or 2008) that must:
> >   - periodically (say once in 5 min) check a mailbox via POP3
> >   - retrieve new messages from there, process them (the processing is
> > specific for the my task) and remove the processed messages.
>
> You can use Winsock + RFC 1725

OF COURSE I can :-) But I hope there is a ready C++ component that
implements this, right? The main thing is: although most of POP3
protocal seems quite easy, there are security&authentication features
that make such implementation non-trivial. There are: APOP command
with password encryption; SSl/TLS support and some more. This is why I
am looking for ready component (and even will pay it:-)
)
From: Christian ASTOR on
On 23 jan, 12:51, KellyLynch <G...(a)tut.by> wrote:
> On 22 янв, 23:03, Christian ASTOR <casto...(a)club-internet.fr> wrote:
>
> > On 22 jan, 13:24, KellyLynch <G...(a)tut.by> wrote:
>
> > > I have C++ Win32-application (MS Visual C++ 2005 or 2008) that must:
> > >   - periodically (say once in 5 min) check a mailbox via POP3
> > >   - retrieve new messages from there, process them (the processing is
> > > specific for the my task) and remove the processed messages.
>
> > You can use Winsock + RFC 1725
>
> OF COURSE I can :-) But I hope there is a ready C++ component that
> implements this, right? The main thing is: although most of POP3
> protocal seems quite easy, there are security&authentication features
> that make such implementation non-trivial. There are: APOP command
> with password encryption; SSl/TLS support and some more. This is why I
> am looking for ready component (and even will pay it:-)

There is IImnAccountManager, IImnAccount, IPOP3Transport interfaces to
simplify it...
It works on XP, but I can't test on more recent OS...

From: KellyLynch on
On 23 янв, 17:19, Christian ASTOR <casto...(a)club-internet.fr> wrote:
> On 23 jan, 12:51, KellyLynch <G...(a)tut.by> wrote:

> > > You can use Winsock + RFC 1725
>
> > OF COURSE I can :-) But I hope there is a ready C++ component that
> > implements this, right? The main thing is: although most of POP3
> > protocal seems quite easy, there are security&authentication features
> > that make such implementation non-trivial. There are: APOP command
> > with password encryption; SSl/TLS support and some more. This is why I
> > am looking for ready component (and even will pay it:-)
>
> There is IImnAccountManager, IImnAccount, IPOP3Transport interfaces to
> simplify it...
> It works on XP, but I can't test on more recent OS...

And these interfaces may work with ANY mail server, not MS' only? I am
asking this because of I never used them...