From: Patrice on
Hi,

> I would expect all "normal" work to stop and the only thing to conitnue
> working in the service would be the mechanism to listen for a
> resume/continue signal.

Then it means the service is stopped as it does nothing else rather than
waiting to start again. So pausing or stopping the service wouldn't make any
difference.

Also AFAIK several services such as FTP are done usually this way. It allows
to stop servicing new requests and at some point later, to ensure that
nobody uses the service. Still someone that started downloading something
can download to the end rather than being stuck in the middle (which would
happen if you just stop the service)...

--
Patrice

From: Jeff Johnson on

>> I would expect all "normal" work to stop and the only thing to conitnue
>> working in the service would be the mechanism to listen for a
>> resume/continue signal.
>
> Then it means the service is stopped as it does nothing else rather than
> waiting to start again. So pausing or stopping the service wouldn't make
> any difference.

Sure it does! All the service's current state would still be in memory. Do
you think that using "Sleep" on your computer is the same as "Shut Down"?