From: Antti on
5 minutes video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnmSJJOD86A

from vhdl to the programming files, and programming without actel
programmer
using DirecC and usb-jtag cable

Antti
PS i messed up alter-actel in the video a few times :(
From: whygee on
Antti wrote:
> from vhdl to the programming files, and programming without actel
> programmer using DirecC and usb-jtag cable
great !
however there is an issue with DirectC :
I couldn't find a distribution license.
That is : what if I design some stuff using
that is meant to flash an Actel ProASIC3,
and that reuses Actel's DirectC ?
Is it intended by Actel, or just as
a design guide, or something else
that is highly proprietary and can't be republished ?
My local rep has no answer to this,
though a bit of code reading shows that
it's just a JTAG wrapper, or something like that.
And a rather nice one, but what am I allowed to
do with that ?

> Antti
yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: Antti on
On Nov 17, 8:29 pm, whygee <y...(a)yg.yg> wrote:
> Antti wrote:
> > from vhdl to the programming files, and programming without actel
> > programmer using DirecC and usb-jtag cable
>
> great !
> however there is an issue with DirectC :
> I couldn't find a distribution license.
> That is : what if I design some stuff using
> that is meant to flash an Actel ProASIC3,
> and that reuses Actel's DirectC ?
> Is it intended by Actel, or just as
> a design guide, or something else
> that is highly proprietary and can't be republished ?
> My local rep has no answer to this,
> though a bit of code reading shows that
> it's just a JTAG wrapper, or something like that.
> And a rather nice one, but what am I allowed to
> do with that ?
>
> > Antti
>
> yg
>
> --http://ygdes.com/http://yasep.org

did you have to sign NDA? NO.
was click-through license required to get download? NO.

The is no restrictive license bound, and see DirectC
is not some "generic" JTAG wrapper it is ABSOLUTLY
Actel only code. So whatever you do with DirectC
it is only to program Actel FPGA's so I am confident
that there will be no issues.

Antti
From: whygee on
Antti wrote:
> did you have to sign NDA? NO.
> was click-through license required to get download? NO.
>
> The is no restrictive license bound, and see DirectC
> is not some "generic" JTAG wrapper it is ABSOLUTLY
> Actel only code. So whatever you do with DirectC
> it is only to program Actel FPGA's so I am confident
> that there will be no issues.

I believe you.
However, I am annoyed that there is no mention of this anywhere.
For example, let's suppose I integrate it in either
a proprietary or GPLv3 project : I can't either,
from a legal point of view.

So what I expect is an official, clear and useful
statement from Actel about this code. Put this in
the public domain, or Creative Commons, or BSD,
but please Actel, do something. Or I'll trade
efforts for time and rewrite a DirectC clone myself,
which is not something that I wish.

> Antti
yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: whygee on
Antti wrote:
> 5 minutes video
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnmSJJOD86A
>
> from vhdl to the programming files, and programming without actel
> programmer using DirecC and usb-jtag cable
Can you update your website(s) to reflect the offer
you present at the end of the video ?
And where can one find the technical details about
the USB/JTAG device you present ?

> Antti
yg
--