From: Bert on
Hello,

Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?

Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
the reference solution.

I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
projects. I change some code in
various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
a new solution.

Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
a tool report to me which
changes have occured.

Are there any good tools for this?

I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
in C.

Thanks.

From: Jason Keats on

http://winmerge.org/ ?
From: Peter Duniho on
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions? [...]

Maybe. It depends on what you're actually looking for.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the source code, Visual Studio
comes with WinDiff, which can do that. There are also other programs to
do the same, such as the WinMerge that Jason suggested.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the binaries, that's a bit
harder. There's a program called BitDiffer that does an okay job as
long as the changes are mainly about what's been added, and the names of
namespaces, types and type members in the older DLL have remained the
same. But it doesn't handle renaming very well. As long as you aren't
concerned with that, it might work for you.

Pete
From: Tom Shelton on
It happens that Bert formulated :
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various projects.
> I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have a
> tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Sounds like you need a good source control tool. Most of them will let
you do version comparisons, etc, as part of the standard package.

There are many excelent, and free, source control tools out there, so
there is really no good reason not to use one. My personal faviorite
is svn - using tortoise svn on the client....

--
Tom Shelton

From: Sjouke Burry on
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
> projects. I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
> a tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Yep. Your brain.