From: manorch on
You have to do the following:
1- Create a new web application giving it the desired host name
2- Declare in your DNS Server this host name making it point to the IP of
your server.
3- Add your content database to this new webapplication in order to get your
content browsable through the new url (which means the new web application).

NB: Another solution would be to use alternate mapping URLs.
Less complexe to implement, but you will have to maintain it in the future.
So if you can avoid to use Alternate Access Mapping (if you don't really
need it) I would recommend you to follow my 1st proposal described above.