From: Leo on
Is there a limit on the number of fields that could be included in the query?
While designing a query I get an error message "Too many fields defined"

Thanks
Leo
From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:01:01 -0700, Leo <Leo(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a limit on the number of fields that could be included in the query?
>While designing a query I get an error message "Too many fields defined"

Yes: 255 fields.

Could you explain the nature of the query and why you need so many fields? Is
this perhaps a very wide Crosstab query?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Leo on
Yes. It is a very wide Crosstab query. It draws from several tables. The
ultimate display on the form which is based on this query will have 23 days,
and several fields displaying various information, like dialysis, three
different medications, etc.

Any suggestions other than redesigning several tables, forms and adding as
subforms?

Thanks,
Leo

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:14:01 -0700, Leo <Leo(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes. It is a very wide Crosstab query. It draws from several tables. The
>ultimate display on the form which is based on this query will have 23 days,
>and several fields displaying various information, like dialysis, three
>different medications, etc.
>
>Any suggestions other than redesigning several tables, forms and adding as
>subforms?

Well, there's no way around the 255 field limit in a single query. But trying
to lay out all this disparate information in one hugely complex query seems
misguided in any case! I'd be inclined to use a form with (e.g.) a subform for
dialysis information, another subform for medications, and so on. It's a lot
easier to arrange things on a screen using form design than it is in a query.

That said, I don't really know what data you're dealing with or what
appearance you're trying to create; I don't envy you, it sounds complex!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Leo on
You are right. There is no way to pass beyond the 255 limit. I am redesigning
the whole form with multiple subforms.

Thank you for your efforts and thoughts
Sincerely
Leo