From: TomChapman on
My program occasionally terminates with a memory access violation. The
description is shown below:

The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it
does not have the appropriate access. Error code: 0xC0000005 Exception
address: 0x0047AC19.

Finding this problem would be easy if I was running the debugger.
Unfortunately, on the server where this occurs, I can not load the
compiler and run the debugger. The error doesn't occur when the program
is run elsewhere. Does the exception address included in the error mean
something useful? Is there a way for me isolate where in my code the
error is occurring?

This is a release version of software. I could install the debug version
if that would help. This is Visual C++ version 6. What can I do here?
From: RFOG on
You can do remote debugging. You install the Remote Debugger Monitor into
server and can debug from your dev machine without problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241848
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y7f5zaaa.aspx

From: TomChapman on
RFOG wrote:
> You can do remote debugging. You install the Remote Debugger Monitor
> into server and can debug from your dev machine without problem.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241848
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y7f5zaaa.aspx
>
> "TomChapman" <TomChapman12(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> My program occasionally terminates with a memory access violation. The
>> description is shown below:
>>
>> The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which
>> it does not have the appropriate access. Error code: 0xC0000005
>> Exception address: 0x0047AC19.
>>
>> Finding this problem would be easy if I was running the debugger.
>> Unfortunately, on the server where this occurs, I can not load the
>> compiler and run the debugger. The error doesn't occur when the
>> program is run elsewhere. Does the exception address included in the
>> error mean something useful? Is there a way for me isolate where in my
>> code the error is occurring?
>>
>> This is a release version of software. I could install the debug
>> version if that would help. This is Visual C++ version 6. What can I
>> do here?

Than you, but your idea does not help me. My only link to the remote
server is a LogMeIn link. I don't think I could get a remote debugging
link to work.
From: RFOG on
Implement "variable wacht" idea: put some known memory variables between the
normal ones and monitor them until you catch the error.

Or "log" the program steps into a file to find were it fails.

Or mount a test scenario with a server in one virtual machine and do remote
debuggin over it.

Or mount a vpn over remote server or use a solution like ISL Light
(http://www.isllight.com/)

--
Microsoft Visual C++ MVP => http://geeks.ms/blogs/rfog
La mayor declaraci�n de amor es la que no se hace, el hombre que siente

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
If 0047AC19 is the address of the instruction that failed, you need to find out what
subroutine that is in. Usually an access fault gives both the address of the failing
instruction and the address that was accessed. Most commonly, the address access is
either < 0xFFFF or some weird address that starts with 0xFEEE???? 0xDFDF???? or 0xCCCC????
and these are hints as to what went wrong (null pointer, stale pointer, uninitialized
heap, or uninitialized stack, respectively)
joe

On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:32:39 -0500, TomChapman <TomChapman12(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>My program occasionally terminates with a memory access violation. The
>description is shown below:
>
>The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it
>does not have the appropriate access. Error code: 0xC0000005 Exception
>address: 0x0047AC19.
>
>Finding this problem would be easy if I was running the debugger.
>Unfortunately, on the server where this occurs, I can not load the
>compiler and run the debugger. The error doesn't occur when the program
>is run elsewhere. Does the exception address included in the error mean
>something useful? Is there a way for me isolate where in my code the
>error is occurring?
>
>This is a release version of software. I could install the debug version
>if that would help. This is Visual C++ version 6. What can I do here?
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
 |  Next  |  Last