From: Baron on
Andrew Crawford wrote:

> Unfortnally not a choice, if i switch i go from a cable company with
> guarantee 20MBit speeds apart from overload UBR's to ADSL 2+ with
> maximum speed off 3MBit due to my distance form the local exchange and
> my local exchange isn't due to be upgraded to ftth/fttc vdsl for about
> 3 years "Baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Andrew Crawford wrote:

Yes cable, a least you get guaranteed speeds but with variable
bandwidth, which is more than I get where the speed just drops
depending upon how heavy the loading is.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: J.O. Aho on
Baron wrote:
> Andrew Crawford wrote:
>
>> Unfortnally not a choice, if i switch i go from a cable company with
>> guarantee 20MBit speeds apart from overload UBR's to ADSL 2+ with
>> maximum speed off 3MBit due to my distance form the local exchange and
>> my local exchange isn't due to be upgraded to ftth/fttc vdsl for about
>
> Yes cable, a least you get guaranteed speeds but with variable
> bandwidth, which is more than I get where the speed just drops
> depending upon how heavy the loading is.

Over here the cable has a max bandwidth which is shared by a hub of 50 users,
so the only time you can be sure to reach the maximum speed is when there
aren't more than 5 users at the same time using their cable connections, the
more users using the less max speed, of course they do not tell that in the
advertisement.

Andrew a small hint: Here we try to follow RFC 1855, which urge people to post
below the section you are replying to and remove parts of the text which are
irrelevant, so please not top or bottom replies, inline (you will see it's far
easier to follow a thread that way as you know what the person is replying to
and you don't have to do jeopardy reading).

--

//Aho
From: Baron on
J.O. Aho wrote:

> Baron wrote:
>> Andrew Crawford wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortnally not a choice, if i switch i go from a cable company with
>>> guarantee 20MBit speeds apart from overload UBR's to ADSL 2+ with
>>> maximum speed off 3MBit due to my distance form the local exchange
>>> and my local exchange isn't due to be upgraded to ftth/fttc vdsl for
>>> about
>>
>> Yes cable, a least you get guaranteed speeds but with variable
>> bandwidth, which is more than I get where the speed just drops
>> depending upon how heavy the loading is.
>
> Over here the cable has a max bandwidth which is shared by a hub of 50
> users, so the only time you can be sure to reach the maximum speed is
> when there aren't more than 5 users at the same time using their cable
> connections, the more users using the less max speed, of course they
> do not tell that in the advertisement.

Too true !
There is not a lot of cable in the UK, most of it is ADSL over pots.
ISP's have virtually stopped providing usenet access and are forcing
users to use webmail. In addition they are deliberately throttling
traffic speeds to encourage users to pay more in order to get higher
speeds. Indeed I know of at least one ISP that is blocking various web
sites, though they deny it !

> Andrew a small hint: Here we try to follow RFC 1855, which urge people
> to post below the section you are replying to and remove parts of the
> text which are irrelevant, so please not top or bottom replies, inline
> (you will see it's far easier to follow a thread that way as you know
> what the person is replying to and you don't have to do jeopardy
> reading).

Agreed ! Posts are so much easier to follow doing it that way.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.