From: Andrew Crawford on
Hello All,

Due to my isp traffic shaping depending on how much i download, i started to
think would it be possible to monitor how much traffic there is going
through my Linux box?

If so how would i detect it?

Then how would i set up a script to basically to monitor and adjust my
available speed depending on a the variable that my isp sets on how much i
can upload or download during peak hours?

From: Andrew Crawford on
I should have said the reason for the variable amount of data is my isp
changes the amount all the time and has different amount depending on the
time of day and whether it a weekend or weekday and for upload and download

From: Baron on
Andrew Crawford wrote:

> I should have said the reason for the variable amount of data is my
> isp changes the amount all the time and has different amount depending
> on the time of day and whether it a weekend or weekday and for upload
> and download "Andrew Crawford" <andrewcrawford(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
> in message news:NSEJm.3109$Ym4.3024(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Due to my isp traffic shaping depending on how much i download, i
>> started to think would it be possible to monitor how much traffic
>> there is going through my Linux box?

I would change my ISP. Unfortunately more and more ISP are using
traffic shaping to compensate for basic lack of bandwidth and are using
it as a marketing tool to charge more money and generate higher
profits.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: John Hasler on
Andrew Crawford writes:
> Then how would i set up a script to basically to monitor and adjust my
> available speed depending on a the variable that my isp sets on how
> much i can upload or download during peak hours?

By implementing traffic shaping on your own system, of course. Google
for "linux" AND "Traffic shaping".
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Andrew Crawford on
Unfortnally not a choice, if i switch i go from a cable company with
guarantee 20MBit speeds apart from overload UBR's to ADSL 2+ with maximum
speed off 3MBit due to my distance form the local exchange and my local
exchange isn't due to be upgraded to ftth/fttc vdsl for about 3 years