From: MichaelRobert on
I want to transfer the AutoComplete e-mail address files from my present
machine (XP SP3) to my new machine Widows 7. In both cases I am running
Outlook 2003 SP3.

A MS online article tells me to copy the file <profilename>.nk2 from
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ on the old
machine to the same location on the new machine.

I cannot find <profilename>.nk2 on the old machine at this location,
although there is a file there named outlook.nk2. There is also the
same-named file at the same location on the new machine. Having the two files
with the same name does not help, but I have tried deleting the existing
outlook.nk2 file on the new machine and copying in the same named file from
the old machine. However, the AutoComplete function does not work (that is, I
am not prompted with the full e-mail address when i type the first few
characters into To; CC; Bcc; etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Mike
From: Diane Poremsky on

MichaelRobert wrote:
> I want to transfer the AutoComplete e-mail address files from my
> present
> machine (XP SP3) to my new machine Widows 7. In both cases I am
> running
> Outlook 2003 SP3.
>
> A MS online article tells me to copy the file <profilename>.nk2 from
> C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ on
> the old
> machine to the same location on the new machine.
>
> I cannot find <profilename>.nk2 on the old machine at this location,
> although there is a file there named outlook.nk2. There is also the
> same-named file at the same location on the new machine. Having the two
> files
> with the same name does not help, but I have tried deleting the
> existing
> outlook.nk2 file on the new machine and copying in the same named file
> from
> the old machine. However, the AutoComplete function does not work (that
> is, I
> am not prompted with the full e-mail address when i type the first few
> characters into To; CC; Bcc; etc.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

Where is the file with the NK2 extension on your computer? It will be
named for your outlook pofile - for many people, this is outlook.nk2.
The location in windows 7 is under c:\users\mike\appdata...

close outlook, copy the nk2 from the old computer to the new one,
placing it in the correct path for win7.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/) | 'Outlook & Exchange
Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com/)

'Outlook Tips by email'
(mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request(a)lists.outlooktips.net)
'EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange'
(mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST(a)PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM)

View this thread: http://www.outlookforums.com/showthread.php?t=46359

http://www.outlookforums.com

From: MichaelRobert on
Thanks, Diane. The file Outlook.nk2 exists on the old machine at C:\Documents
and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

When I copy the file to the location on the new W7 machine, I end up with
two copies of Outlook.nk2 - the one that was first there, plus the one I
copied there. I would have expected to get an 'Overwrite?' prompt but did not
get one, suggesting that the OS sees them as being different files. But they
look the same to me.

Could it be that the files are indeed different - one named for profile Mike
and one named for profile Michael? How can I change the profile name or the
file name?

Thanks

Mike

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"MichaelRobert" <MichaelRobert(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks, Diane. The file Outlook.nk2 exists on the old machine at
> C:\Documents
> and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

If you are using this same path on Windows 7, you're using a junction point
and not the "real" folder. Put the NK2 file in
C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Microsoft\Outlook

> Could it be that the files are indeed different - one named for profile Mike
> and one named for profile Michael? How can I change the profile name or the
> file name?

Use whatever name you've chosen as you username on the Windows 7 machine. If
tha's "Mike", then that's what you use. If it's "Michael", then use that.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]