From: Kurt R. Todoroff on
I anticipate purchasing an iMac in the fall. I am using an early 2002
iMac G4 800MHz 15-inch running 10.4.11. It has old legacy files (mostly
settings and unused fonts) on it that date back to PPC/MacOS 8.6 and
even 68030/MacOS 6.0.3.

I want to install all of my third party applications from the original
installation disks on to the new iMac. I will recreate my iTunes and
iPhoto configurations manually as well. I will easily update my Address
Book, iCal, Safari bookmark data via my MobileMe account. I want to
transfer all of my mail accounts and saved mail from the old iMac to the
new iMac. I have read that MobileMe does not support this on Tiger, but
it does on Leopard and Snow Leopard. I have read that, despite the
Migration Assistant's good reputation, many persons have experienced
difficulty transferring their mail from a Tiger Mac to a Snow Leopard
Mac when using it. I want to avoid using MA to effect the transfer of
my Mail data from the old Mac to the new Mac. Here is what I came up
with:

Currently, I boot my iMac G4 from an external Firewire 1TB hard drive.
Every day at 0045, SuperDuper! performs a full backup of this drive to
another external Firewire 1TB hard drive. I have a licensed copy of
Snow Leopard that my brother gave to me, not knowing that it does not
support the G4 processor. If I disconnect the backup drive from my iMac
G4 and then connect it to the new iMac Intel, will the SL installation
disk install SL on this drive? I have read that the SL installer will
only install on GUID disks. Obviously, this disk is APM. Is what I
read correct?

If this is not correct, then I want to boot from this external SL drive,
and then transfer my mail accounts and save mail to MobileMe. Then, I
will reboot from the internal hard drive, disconnect the external hard
drive, and they sync my computer's mail accounts and save mail to
MobileMe.

Alternatively, can I connect the external Firewire 1TB hard drive to the
new iMac, format it using GUID, then reconnect it to the Tiger iMac,
perform a full SuperDuper! backup to it, then reconnect it to the new
iMac and then install SL on it, and then sync via MobileMe?

If I could borrow a Leopard installation disk, then I could install
Leopard on the external backup drive, and the I could copy the Mail
folder from ~Users/Myaccount/Library on this hard drive to
~Users/Myaccount/Library on the new iMac internal hard drive. Once this
is complete, I would reconnect the backup drive to the Tiger iMac. The
day at 0045 SuperDuper! would clone the boot drive to the backup drive,
thus removing any vestiges of Leopard from that drive.

Reinstalling all of my third party applications will be simple because I
have very few of them. Syncing most of my AB/iCal/Safari data via
MobileMe will be a snap. I've done this previously. The main roadblock
is Mail.

Any suggestions?

--

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not coercion.
From: Barry Margolin on
In article
<krishna-278E6B.22010422072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
krishnananda <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> wrote:

> In article <kurt.r.todoroff-443F3C.16334822072010(a)nntp.aioe.org>,
> "Kurt R. Todoroff" <kurt.r.todoroff(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I anticipate purchasing an iMac in the fall. I am using an early 2002
> > iMac G4 800MHz 15-inch running 10.4.11. It has old legacy files (mostly
> > settings and unused fonts) on it that date back to PPC/MacOS 8.6 and
> > even 68030/MacOS 6.0.3.
> >
> > I want to install all of my third party applications from the original
> > installation disks on to the new iMac. I will recreate my iTunes and
> > iPhoto configurations manually as well. I will easily update my Address
> > Book, iCal, Safari bookmark data via my MobileMe account. I want to
> > transfer all of my mail accounts and saved mail from the old iMac to the
> > new iMac. I have read that MobileMe does not support this on Tiger, but
> > it does on Leopard and Snow Leopard. I have read that, despite the
> > Migration Assistant's good reputation, many persons have experienced
> > difficulty transferring their mail from a Tiger Mac to a Snow Leopard
> > Mac when using it. I want to avoid using MA to effect the transfer of
> > my Mail data from the old Mac to the new Mac. Here is what I came up
> > with:
>
> On the new mac, fire up Mail.app, go to "File > Import Mailboxes..."
>
> Check the "Mail for Mac OS X" radio button and go to it.
>
> The rest: above my pay grade. Why don't you just clone the old disk and
> attach the clone to the new machine & use Migration Assistance. Your
> method seems overly complicated...

Did you miss where he said "I want to avoid using MA" because he's heard
that people have had problems using it to transfer mail data from Tiger
to Snow Leopard?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Kurt R. Todoroff on
In article <vilain-4CC216.18454722072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <kurt.r.todoroff-443F3C.16334822072010(a)nntp.aioe.org>,
> "Kurt R. Todoroff" <kurt.r.todoroff(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I anticipate purchasing an iMac in the fall. I am using an early 2002
> > iMac G4 800MHz 15-inch running 10.4.11. It has old legacy files (mostly
> > settings and unused fonts) on it that date back to PPC/MacOS 8.6 and
> > even 68030/MacOS 6.0.3.
> >
> > I want to install all of my third party applications from the original
> > installation disks on to the new iMac. I will recreate my iTunes and
> > iPhoto configurations manually as well. I will easily update my Address
> > Book, iCal, Safari bookmark data via my MobileMe account. I want to
> > transfer all of my mail accounts and saved mail from the old iMac to the
> > new iMac. I have read that MobileMe does not support this on Tiger, but
> > it does on Leopard and Snow Leopard. I have read that, despite the
> > Migration Assistant's good reputation, many persons have experienced
> > difficulty transferring their mail from a Tiger Mac to a Snow Leopard
> > Mac when using it. I want to avoid using MA to effect the transfer of
> > my Mail data from the old Mac to the new Mac. Here is what I came up
> > with:

<snip>

I searched through the ~Users/Myccount/Library/Mail folder last night
and I performed some testing. I learned the following:

I removed the "Mailboxes" folder from the aforementioned directory
location while Mail was not running. Then I launched Mail. Everything
appeared to look and operate properly except that Mail did not display
all of my mailboxes. I expected this. I quit Mail. I moved the
"Mailboxes" folder back into the aforementioned directory. Then I
launched Mail. Everything appeared to look and operate properly, and
Mail did display all of my mailboxes and their proper contents.

I have decided to do the following when I purchase the new iMac. I will
install Leopard over Tiger on the old iMac external Firewire 1TB backup
hard drive. I will reboot the old iMac from this backup drive. I will
turn on MobileMe syncing of my "Mail Accounts" and my "Mail Rules,
Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" and then perform a manual sync. Then,
on the new iMac, I will turn on MobileMe syncing of my "Mail Accounts"
and my "Mail Rules, Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" and then perform a
manual sync. Then I will copy ~Users/Myccount/Library/Mail/Mailboxes
from the old iMac to the new iMac.

Can anyone see any holes in the plan?

Thank you.

From: XX on

"Kurt R. Todoroff" <kurt.r.todoroff(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> new iMac, format it using GUID, then reconnect it to the Tiger iMac,
> perform a full SuperDuper! backup to it, then reconnect it to the new
> iMac and then install SL on it, and then sync via MobileMe?
>
> If I could borrow a Leopard installation disk, then I could install
> Leopard on the external backup drive, and the I could copy the Mail
> folder from ~Users/Myaccount/Library on this hard drive to
> ~Users/Myaccount/Library on the new iMac internal hard drive. Once this
> is complete, I would reconnect the backup drive to the Tiger iMac. The
> day at 0045 SuperDuper! would clone the boot drive to the backup drive,
> thus removing any vestiges of Leopard from that drive.
>
> Reinstalling all of my third party applications will be simple because I
> have very few of them. Syncing most of my AB/iCal/Safari data via
> MobileMe will be a snap. I've done this previously. The main roadblock

How do you people put up with this? This is like the "Dark Ages" of
computing.

From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article <kurt.r.todoroff-AE9EC3.09391623072010(a)nntp.aioe.org>,
"Kurt R. Todoroff" <kurt.r.todoroff(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <vilain-4CC216.18454722072010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <kurt.r.todoroff-443F3C.16334822072010(a)nntp.aioe.org>,
> > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <kurt.r.todoroff(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I anticipate purchasing an iMac in the fall. I am using an early 2002
> > > iMac G4 800MHz 15-inch running 10.4.11. It has old legacy files (mostly
> > > settings and unused fonts) on it that date back to PPC/MacOS 8.6 and
> > > even 68030/MacOS 6.0.3.
> > >
> > > I want to install all of my third party applications from the original
> > > installation disks on to the new iMac. I will recreate my iTunes and
> > > iPhoto configurations manually as well. I will easily update my Address
> > > Book, iCal, Safari bookmark data via my MobileMe account. I want to
> > > transfer all of my mail accounts and saved mail from the old iMac to the
> > > new iMac. I have read that MobileMe does not support this on Tiger, but
> > > it does on Leopard and Snow Leopard. I have read that, despite the
> > > Migration Assistant's good reputation, many persons have experienced
> > > difficulty transferring their mail from a Tiger Mac to a Snow Leopard
> > > Mac when using it. I want to avoid using MA to effect the transfer of
> > > my Mail data from the old Mac to the new Mac. Here is what I came up
> > > with:
>
> <snip>
>
> I searched through the ~Users/Myccount/Library/Mail folder last night
> and I performed some testing. I learned the following:
>
> I removed the "Mailboxes" folder from the aforementioned directory
> location while Mail was not running. Then I launched Mail. Everything
> appeared to look and operate properly except that Mail did not display
> all of my mailboxes. I expected this. I quit Mail. I moved the
> "Mailboxes" folder back into the aforementioned directory. Then I
> launched Mail. Everything appeared to look and operate properly, and
> Mail did display all of my mailboxes and their proper contents.
>
> I have decided to do the following when I purchase the new iMac. I will
> install Leopard over Tiger on the old iMac external Firewire 1TB backup
> hard drive. I will reboot the old iMac from this backup drive. I will
> turn on MobileMe syncing of my "Mail Accounts" and my "Mail Rules,
> Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" and then perform a manual sync. Then,
> on the new iMac, I will turn on MobileMe syncing of my "Mail Accounts"
> and my "Mail Rules, Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" and then perform a
> manual sync. Then I will copy ~Users/Myccount/Library/Mail/Mailboxes
> from the old iMac to the new iMac.
>
> Can anyone see any holes in the plan?
>
> Thank you.

Good backups in the plan are definitely a plus.

It has been awhile since I've done a new install and mine have usually
just been one version upgrades and some new box installs. I use
TimeMachine all the time and used it to do the last one. All my mail
and other accounts were there at the end.

In your case, if you install Leopard over Tiger on a clone backup, boot
from that drive when done and you might find it all there and ready to
go.

--
Lloyd

 |  Next  |  Last