From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Ciaran wrote:

> Ry Nohryb wrote:
>> Scott Sauyet wrote:

>> > Thank you. I had never really looked at that before. It's a shame
>> > that this is not implemented universally.
>>
>> I think it's been implemented in most browsers for a few years now.
>> But there's something very important to watch out with events emitted
>> in this way: they are handled *synchronously*, they are not queued as
>> events usually are,

Rubbish. Events are _not_ queued; they are created and dispatched.

>> they are instead handled from within the call to dispatchEvent():

Because the event is dispatched *manually* (here: immediately after
creation).

>> (function () {
>> var evt = document.createEvent("MouseEvents");
>> evt.initMouseEvent("click", true, true, window, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
>> false, false, false, false, 0, null);
>> var ctr= 0;
>> document.body.onclick= function () { ctr++; };
>> document.body.dispatchEvent(evt);
>> console.log(ctr);
>> setTimeout(function(){ console.log(ctr); });

You forgot `window.' and the mandatory second argument in the last
statement, but your example would not prove your argument even if you
didn't.

>> })();
>>
>> --> 1, 1
>
> Thanks Jorge.

For what? Posting nonsense again, while *I* have provided the correct
reference?

> I can't understand why 'PointedEars' did not mention any
> of this interesting detail in his initial reply on this thread,
> or in even afterwards when I probed further

I did on both accounts. And this is not a support forum, so nothing for
you to probe, but a lot for you to learn. Learn to read and to ask smart
questions to begin with.

Score adjusted

PointedEars
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jun 27, 11:16 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> > Ry Nohryb wrote:
> >> But there's something very important to watch out with events emitted
> >> in this way: they are handled *synchronously*, they are not queued as
> >> events usually are,
>
> Rubbish.  Events are _not_ queued;

Yes Pointy, most if not all of the user interface events (click,
scroll, mousemove, etc) are queued, DOM mutation events aren't queued:
they're handled synchronously, as is the first onreadystatechange
event that gets triggered by an xhr.send(), and the events handed
to .dispatchEvent(event).
--
Jorge.
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <9203324.ljVUCQOuko(a)PointedEars.de>,
Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:16:59, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
<PointedEars(a)web.de> posted:

> And this is not a support forum, so nothing for
>you to probe, but a lot for you to learn. Learn to read and to ask smart
>questions to begin with.

<FAQENTRY> An entry on Pointy-Head is needed, to explain the peculiar
nature of his personality and the general invalidity of such of his
opinions as are not traceable to ECMA-262.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ??@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
In MS OE, choose Tools, Options, Send; select Plain Text for News and E-mail.
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message<9203324.ljVUCQOuko(a)PointedEars.de>,
> Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:16:59, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
> <PointedEars(a)web.de> posted:
>
>> And this is not a support forum, so nothing for
>> you to probe, but a lot for you to learn. Learn to read and to ask smart
>> questions to begin with.
>
> <FAQENTRY> An entry on Pointy-Head is needed, to explain the peculiar
> nature of his personality and the general invalidity of such of his
> opinions as are not traceable to ECMA-262.

It would be great if all CLJ regulars were covered and also mentioned
who generally picks on who. Maybe Garret could create a separate page
and link it in the FAQ.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Garrett Smith on
On 2010-06-28 10:26 PM, Bwig Zomberi wrote:
> Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message<9203324.ljVUCQOuko(a)PointedEars.de>,
>> Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:16:59, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
>> <PointedEars(a)web.de> posted:
>>
>>> And this is not a support forum, so nothing for
>>> you to probe, but a lot for you to learn. Learn to read and to ask smart
>>> questions to begin with.
>>
>> <FAQENTRY> An entry on Pointy-Head is needed, to explain the peculiar
>> nature of his personality and the general invalidity of such of his
>> opinions as are not traceable to ECMA-262.

It's easy to point out flaws in others but you do your fair share of
name-calling, and sometimes post occasional bible quotes.

> It would be great if all CLJ regulars were covered and also mentioned
> who generally picks on who. Maybe Garret could create a separate page
> and link it in the FAQ.

I've got better things to do with my time than figure out how to writ an
objective autobiographical synopsis of "PointedEars".

I'd rather see a document that inspires useful contribution and
productive discussion and discourages time-wasting and drama games. But
then, given a choice of what to do with my time, I'd rather focus just
on technical material.

The good thing about this NG is a double-edged sword: Anybody can say
anything.

To make a positive contribution, eliminate any name calling. Have a
positive attitude about making a useful contribution. You don't have to
write a bunch of niceties or anything.

A proposal to an FAQ entry is a good contribution (even though I
disagree with what was proposed that I am replying to). A technical code
review would be another great contribution. That is something I've been
working on, among other things, actually. When its done, I'd like to add
a link to it from the FAQ. And that, to me, seems more valuable and
worthwhile use of my time than writing about PointedEars.

Garrett