From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca>

| Hi David,

| Wednesday June 09 2010, David H. Lipman writes to All:

>>| Have downloaded a number of files from rapidshare premium
>>| and avg flags some of the rar files as Infected with
>>| Trojan Horse.crypt.EQY, Trojan horse Generic17.AQPY
>>| and Trojan horse Generic13.ANQM. Anyone out there who had
>>| a similar experience?

>> Yepper. RapidShare is an unknowing accomplice and host
>> *much* malware.

| Same with PB (Pirate Bay).

I don't know their outfit but, they may take a blind-eye.

--
Dave

From: gufus on
Hi David,

Wednesday June 09 2010, David H. Lipman writes to Gypsy BBS:

>| Same with PB (Pirate Bay).
> I don't know their outfit but, they may take a blind-eye.

It's a (large) torrent site.

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Firmness of delivery dates is inversely proportional to tightness of schedu
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Roy" <roybasan(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

[...]

If it happens that one file is infested kaspersky will notify me, and
if its a rar file during its extraction again kaspersky will notify
me( if the particular file is had some malware inside it.. )

***
Just a little added note to this statement - the word "malware" should be
replaced by the two words "known malware", that is to say, known to the
detecting software (kaspersky) in this case. Keeping it updated is not only
*not* a perfect solution, it is not, really, even possible (unless the
malware authors are nice enough to provide them with samples before they are
otherwise released).
***

[...]

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org>

| "Roy" <roybasan(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

| [...]

| If it happens that one file is infested kaspersky will notify me, and
| if its a rar file during its extraction again kaspersky will notify
| me( if the particular file is had some malware inside it.. )

| ***
| Just a little added note to this statement - the word "malware" should be
| replaced by the two words "known malware", that is to say, known to the
| detecting software (kaspersky) in this case. Keeping it updated is not only
| *not* a perfect solution, it is not, really, even possible (unless the
| malware authors are nice enough to provide them with samples before they are
| otherwise released).
| ***

| [...]

That's a very good point because such places often park new malware that is then used in a
downloader. Since the site is considered OK and not blocked by such things as some
FireWall rules or etc/hosts files, the new unknown malware can more readily be downloaded
and installed.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>
>>If a satellite fell to earth tonight, tomorrow's Google results for
>>satellite would probably be 70% malware - probably the latest rogue
>>security application.
>
> That doesn't make any sense.
> Are you saying that an HTML/text list
> of links in your browser for google hits is dangerous?

No, but more of them could lead to malware by redirection, especially if
the "new malware" exploits browsers or their extensions. Some may get
high placement on google's list by artificial means (spamming links for
instance). Like many anti-malware applications, Google can only warn you
of ones it knows are suspect.