From: Jenn on
I have a field set up with number datatype and percent format. I am trying
to enter 30% and it comes up 0%. When I put in .30 I get 0% when I put in
300 I get 300%. I can't get this field to show 30%. I need it to be a
number because I want to multiply it by another number in a query. Please
help.
From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
You are apparently using an integer number data type (a long integer is the
default data type for a number when you create a table). If you want to
enter the value as a decimal fraction such 0.3 change the 'Field Size'
property to Single in the table design and format it as a percentage.

The reason that 30% shows As 0% that entering a percentage sign divides the
value by 100, so it becomes 0.3. As\the field is an integer data type this
is rounded down to zero.

If you want to enter the number as an integer, e.g. 30 then use an integer
data type, but don't format it. Instead, in a form or report add a label
with the % sign immediately to the right of the control. In a report you can
display it as a percentage in the same way or by setting the ControlSource of
a text box control to =[PercentField] & “%”, or =Format([PercentField]/100,
”Percent”). Not seeing the percentage sign in the table in raw datasheet
view is immaterial as the data should only be exposed to the user in a form
or report.

If you do use an integer then you'll need to take account of this in any
expressions, e.g. to compute the percentage of another field's values:

=[Amount] * ([PercentField]/100)

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England