From: David Adam on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, David Adam wrote:
> We have a domain controller running Samba 3.4.5 that is backed onto an
> OpenLDAP datastore. The domain has no trouble joining Windows XP clients,
> but we've got a couple of Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard that
> we can't join to the domain.
>
> The registry changes suggested in
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=Windows7&oldid=4766 have been
> applied, and a UNIX account for the machine has been created.
>
> While the creation of the object in LDAP appears to succeed, the join
> fails with super-helpful message "The parameter is incorrect" on the
> client.

For the archives, I reported this as bug 7395 - as discussed, it appears
that Windows 7 has tightened up a bit on valid SIDs and we somehow had an
invalid one, possibly due to an endianness issue in an old version of Samba.

Replacing our SID that started with S-1-5-352321536 with S-1-5-21 solved
all our problems.

David Adam
zanchey(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au