From: Bob Weiner on
You are right about calling tech support. I talked to them yesterday and
they found an issue that I would never have been able to find on my own.

The problem, either triggered by the installation of the hotfix or an event
in close proximity, was due to a bug with the SQL 2008 Filestream. Running
that service on Win 2003 R2 in cluster mode can lead to a failure of the
database engine to fail over. This bug is yet to be resolved but after
disabling the filestream in the registery the db engine starting failing over
propertly. It is a strange because the second instance still has the
filestream enabled and it fails-over fine.

I am grateful for the workaround though hope one day for a real fix. Maybe
SP2.

I probably spoke too harshly regarding my opinion on the use of SQL Server.
I work in higher education and not a company and have no right to speak on
best practices in that world. Here, I have one SQL server (cluster) and it
is used for everything - development, testing (= asking the guy next door to
me for a second opinion), and production. I have to trust that it will work
as designed. I used to set up non-production environments
testing/development but in reality that ideology made more of a mess than the
benefit it was supposed to provide.

Steen was also right in pointing out that my original question lacked
specific error messages. That is a good point that I will try to remember in
future posts.