From: Bob on
I have a clustered SQL 2008 SP 1 running on Win2k3 R2 x64 SP2. There are
two DB instances, the default for SharePoint, vcenter, and some custom
databases and the other for OCS.

I applied the cumulative update of KB 970315 to one of the nodes so that I
could use the server for SharePoint 2010 beta 2. Before applying it to the
second node, I failed over the groups to ensure that they would run.

The group containing the default instance does not run on the updated
server. It is the SQL Server resource within the group that fails to start.

Everything is currently running on node 1 but I cannot install SP 2010 and
if node 1 fails, I'll lose the production SharePoint services.

How can I resolve this problem?

Thank you, bob

From: TheSQLGuru on
Boy I sure hope you haven't messed things up beyond repair here. I would be
on the phone to MS tech support.

Obviously I am pretty amazed that you would even think of installing BETA
software anywhere near a production server!!!

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Bob Weiner on
The patch is not beta - it is an MS supported hotfix. There is no reason to
think that this would harm the database.

SharePoint 2010 is beta but runs on a separate server and only connects to
the sql server for the purposes of creating and storing data - which is our
whole reason for owning a sql server. I do not believe that connecting
software, beta or not, should be able to negatively impact the functioning of
the database engine. If I am wrong on this point, I think it is time to
change the database server, not the beta software.

So, I guess I don't see how I could have "messed things up beyond repair" or
why it is so obvious that you'd be pretty amazed. I know the word "beta"
scares a lot of people and as such your comment seems more flippant than
insightful.

I will admit however, that I am not an SQL MVP so maybe I am
misunderstanding. Is this MS's position on the subject as well?

From: Steen Schl�ter Persson on
Hi Bob,

It might be helpfull if you could supply us with some error messages from
the Even Log and or SQL Log?
You just say that the SQL Server instance fail to start, but it will most
likely post some error messages somewhere.

--
Regards
Steen Schl�ter Persson (DK)

From: TheSQLGuru on
Every company I know that puts out beta software for public evaluation
includes at least one statement in the setup process or readme et al that
says do not put this stuff on production systems. And yes, connecting
sharepoint 2010 beta to a production sql server is affecting a production
system in my book.

I this case it does seem that the patch installation is the original problem
cause. Virtually any installation failure such as this (if a
uninstall/reinstall try doesn't work) is a guaranteed trip to MS support.
You can scan through the megs of log files that are written hunting for a
cause and if you find one then try to figure it out yourself or with the
help of forumites. But by far your best course of action, especially given
that a cluster is involved, is to work your way through the MS support
system.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.