From: Xavier Noria on
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Try Ruby is not compatible with 1.9.2-*. I am still looking in to why this
> is the case, but ruby 1.9.2 will not execute tryruby.rb.
> I am hoping that I am wrong about this, but every time I try to use 1.9.2 it
> is unable to find tryruby.rb -- even through it is in the same directly as
> irb.cgi.

Now idea about your general setup, but that comment rings the bell
that "." is no longer in $: by default.

From: andrew mcelroy on

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Xavier Noria <fxn(a)hashref.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Try Ruby is not compatible with 1.9.2-*. I am still looking in to why
> this
> > is the case, but ruby 1.9.2 will not execute tryruby.rb.
> > I am hoping that I am wrong about this, but every time I try to use 1.9.2
> it
> > is unable to find tryruby.rb -- even through it is in the same directly
> as
> > irb.cgi.
>
> Now idea about your general setup, but that comment rings the bell
> that "." is no longer in $: by default.
>
> http://github.com/Sophrinix/TryRuby

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but can you expand on what you mean that
is no longer in $

Do you mean that current directory is no longer in path?

Was this a change from 1.9.1 to 1.9.2?

Andrew McElroy

From: Xavier Noria on
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but can you expand on what you mean that
> . is no longer in $
>
> Do you mean that current directory is no longer in path?

That's right, the current working directory is no longer in the load
path. If your app assumed it was chdir'ed to the CGI directory and did
a bare require it won't work.

> Was this a change from 1.9.1 to 1.9.2?

Yes.

From: andrew mcelroy on

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Xavier Noria <fxn(a)hashref.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but can you expand on what you mean
> that
> > . is no longer in $
> >
> > Do you mean that current directory is no longer in path?
>
> That's right, the current working directory is no longer in the load
> path. If your app assumed it was chdir'ed to the CGI directory and did
> a bare require it won't work.
>
> > Was this a change from 1.9.1 to 1.9.2?

Yes.

> Why was this change made? Will this behavior be backported to Ruby 1.8?
I guess reading the change log is pretty important then.

Andrew McElroy

From: Xavier Noria on
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Why was this change made? Will this behavior be backported to Ruby 1.8?
> I guess reading the change log is pretty important then.

It happened in changeset 23816, no rationale there. And I've seen only
speculation online (it is the tradition, UNIX security, etc.). I don't
know the real motivation.