From: RayLopez99 on
Update: Linux anti-Windows trolls please keep out. Aragon this means
you, Chrisv, SinisterMidget, etc. I want to followup and ask whether
Acer supports Linux Linpus, and whether, since the Acer PC does not
have a CD/DVD (unless you get an extension USB type, which I might
get), it's safe to say Linpus will last say 5 years without having to
do a clean reinstall.

So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM
2G Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name;
sounds like a disease).

But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what
I've
seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it
into
a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system
work?

This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using
anything
but a first class OS like Windows.

Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only,
though
I am copying COLA.

RL
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 04:46:16 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> Update: Linux anti-Windows trolls please keep out. Aragon this means
> you, Chrisv, SinisterMidget, etc. I want to followup and ask whether
> Acer supports Linux Linpus, and whether, since the Acer PC does not have
> a CD/DVD (unless you get an extension USB type, which I might get), it's
> safe to say Linpus will last say 5 years without having to do a clean
> reinstall.
>
> So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
> thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM 2G
> Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name; sounds
> like a disease).
>
> But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what I've
> seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it into
> a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
> recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
> Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system work?
>
> This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
> Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
> get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using anything
> but a first class OS like Windows.
>
> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
> I am copying COLA.
>
> RL

Why would you want to use an obscure distro like Linpus?, just install
Fedora 13 or Ubuntu. If it can run Linpus it can run any distro so you
can use whatever you want. It takes 20 minutes to install Fedora so it
shouldn't be a concern that you have to do it yourself.

As for connecting to a DSL modem, as long as it has an ethernet
connection you won't have a problem.
From: B Sellers on
On 06/01/2010 04:46 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Update: Linux anti-Windows trolls please keep out. Aragon this means
> you, Chrisv, SinisterMidget, etc. I want to followup and ask whether
> Acer supports Linux Linpus, and whether, since the Acer PC does not
> have a CD/DVD (unless you get an extension USB type, which I might
> get), it's safe to say Linpus will last say 5 years without having to
> do a clean reinstall.
>
> So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
> thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM
> 2G Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name;
> sounds like a disease).
>
> But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what
> I've
> seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it
> into
> a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
> recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
> Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system
> work?
>
> This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
> Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
> get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using
> anything
> but a first class OS like Windows.
>
> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only,
> though
> I am copying COLA.
>
> RL

I am not copying to COLA. I already replied to you there.
So you must not be reading the newsgroup,

If you think Windows is such great system Ray, then
why is google getting rid of it?

<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a.html>

You must be the real person on whom the character
of Peter Griffin is based?

You are not reading COLA either are you Ray?
This is what I sent you there with small additions.

On 05/30/2010 05:41 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
> thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM
> 2G Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name;
> sounds like a disease).

Probably sounds much better in Chinese

Below is the review for the device setup with Windows 7(cr)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/acer-aspirerevo-review/

Linpus Linux is a commercial, Fedora-based distribution developed by
Linpus Technologies, a Linux company with headquarters in Taipei, Taiwan
and a development office in Shanghai, China. The product's main features
are support for both traditional and simplified Chinese, LSB 2.0
certification, support for Unicode character sets, friendly KDE desktop,
and compatibility with a wide range of computer hardware.

So would Ray Lopez find that interesting?

Maybe you think your COLA postings would be as sensibly done
in Traditional Chinese characters?

Well the review is at;
<http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/linpus94.htm>

This is about a live CD version.

From what you are saying unless the friend is Chinese-language
using she might find something like Mandriva or Knoppix to be more
usable value. But read the review to form your own opinion.

> But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what I've
> seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it into
> a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
> recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
> Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system
> work?

> This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
> Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
> get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using anything
> but a first class OS like Windows.

Good you can get her the Windows version. That is the only
version to which I can find reference on line.

> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
> I am copying COLA.

Note that I have removed the other newsgroup from this
posting RayLopez99.

> RL

Sorry not to fight COLA but dual posters to COLA get the benefit
of the bit bucket. Whether or not Ray is serious about possibly using
Linux I would rather that he or she not. The reason is that Ray
demonstrates
a lack of technical savvy because he could have looked this up just
as I did this evening. So if you cannot type "Linpus Linux" into Google
I doubt you could find the way such CD booted systems can be useful
and even installed with Mandriva One and Knoppix 6.3.

As for the hardware it isn't what i would find useful. And you
cannot change whatever OS it is supplied with easily though I
could but I am an old woman (72.75 years)with nothing better
to do than play with Knoppix and run Mandriva 2009.1 Free Linux.
Oh yeah because Microsoft convinces foolish IT managers to adopt
its broken standards I have the Vista release on the dual
boot laptop opposite Mandriva.

Advocacy? Not even for the Amiga!

later
bliss
From: J G Miller on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 04:46:16 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> I am copying COLA.

Thereby proving this is only a troll flame bait posting.
From: Stroller111 on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 04:46:16 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> Update: Linux anti-Windows trolls please keep out. Aragon this means
> you, Chrisv, SinisterMidget, etc. I want to followup and ask whether
> Acer supports Linux Linpus, and whether, since the Acer PC does not have
> a CD/DVD (unless you get an extension USB type, which I might get), it's
> safe to say Linpus will last say 5 years without having to do a clean
> reinstall.
>
> So for this non-power user who only surfs the net to check email, I'm
> thinking that I might get her a $300 ACER Aspire R3610 M330 320G RAM 2G
> Mini Desktop LINUX--running Linpus Linux (what a stupid name; sounds
> like a disease).
>
> But my concern is that though the screenshots look good from what I've
> seen in Google, if it's already factory installed can she plug it into
> a DSL modem supplied by one of the Baby Bells, will the modem be
> recognized, and will she be good to go, so she can check her email at
> Yahoo email, or, do I have to do something to make the dang system work?
>
> This is an ideal user--if ever there was one--for Linux, but unless
> Linux needs zero hand holding and installation help, I'm not going to
> get it. Personally as a power user I cannot see myself using anything
> but a first class OS like Windows.
>
> Seriously, Linpus Linux--is it any good? Serious replies only, though
> I am copying COLA.
>
> RL

Linpus is an Asian targeted distro,

http://linuxbsdos.com/2008/02/20/linpus-linux/

There's yer link, Ray Low-pest

--
Stroller111 - Registered Linux User #511525