From: Mantas Šegžda on
Hello Postfix users,
analyzing logs i often see those kind of errors:

"Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=xxxxxxxx
type=A: Host not found"
Does this mean that Postfix is not even trying to deliver if host A
record is absent?

Another strange error is like this:
"Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=xxxxxxxx
type=A: Host found but no data record of requested type"

Or similarly this one:
"Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=xxxxxxxx
type=MX: Host not found, try again"
Would Postfix attempt to deliver to server(s) on type=A records? I
know this one sounds awkward but there has been incidents when brain-
dead administrators expect emails to get delivered servers on host A
records. Would be good if Postfix can force trying servers on A
record(s) for delivery as last resort.

For Those there seem to be no information neither on this group or
internet. I would greatly appreciate if someone could shed some light
on which attributes could be looked at.

Thanks
From: Mantas Šegžda on
Just quick update with good example.

Postfix won't deliver to @lah.com address because it does not have
type=A entry for root domain "lah.com" but "www.lah.com" and MX record
exists and is accessible:
"Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=mail.lah.com type=A: Host not found"

I don't believe anyone did not meet such situation! Thanks