From: dan kirk on
Most certainly. You can write queries in Oracle to pull the tables and contents directly into
Oracle, but I would suggest using something like SQuirreL SQL Client (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/ ) to do the nitty gritty work for you unless you just
need to know.

Dan Kirk

From: Jon Waterhouse on
The Oracle SQLDeveloper (version 1.5) can access your SQL Sever table
directly as well as log on to your oracle server. You should be able to do
CREATE table (oracletable) as SELECT * from (SQLServertable).

Jon

From: Learner on
On Jun 25, 8:42 am, "Jon Waterhouse" <myn...(a)gov.nl.ca> wrote:
> The Oracle SQLDeveloper (version 1.5) can access your SQL Sever table
> directly as well as log on to your oracle server. You should be able to do
> CREATE table (oracletable) as SELECT * from (SQLServertable).
>
> Jon
>
> "Learner" <pra...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> >  We are planning to migrate our SQL Server datbases to Oralce 10g in
> > near future. As part of this process I am just trying to migrate a
> > small database that has only 4 tables in Sql Server 2005 to Oralce 10g
> > Express Edition.
>
> > I am just recreating all the table definitions in Oracle by looking at
> > the definitions in SQL Server 2005. I am not sure if this is going to
> > be possibel, but once tables are defined then my idea is to export the
> > data from SQL Server to an Excel spread sheet and then import it into
> > Oracle. I am using Oracle SQL Developer tool.
>
> > My questions:
> > 1).Are there an easy ways to migrate table definitions from SQL Server
> > 2005 to Oralce?
> > 2).Can we directly export the data from SQL SErver to Oralce?
> > 3).If the above two are not possible can I import the data from Excel
> > spread sheet to an Oracle table using SQL Developer?
>
> > Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > -L- Hide quoted text -

Yes I have searched online and yes there is a possibility to attach
the third party databases like SQL Server. Here are the links I am
going through and are very helpful.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/08-may/o38sql.html
http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/07-sep/o57sql.html

Thanks for the help.