From: Learner on
Hi,

We are planning to migrate our SQL Server datbases to Oralce 10g in
near future. As part of this process I am just trying to migrate a
small database that has only 4 tables in Sql Server 2005 to Oralce 10g
Express Edition.

I am just recreating all the table definitions in Oracle by looking at
the definitions in SQL Server 2005. I am not sure if this is going to
be possibel, but once tables are defined then my idea is to export the
data from SQL Server to an Excel spread sheet and then import it into
Oracle. I am using Oracle SQL Developer tool.

My questions:
1).Are there an easy ways to migrate table definitions from SQL Server
2005 to Oralce?
2).Can we directly export the data from SQL SErver to Oralce?
3).If the above two are not possible can I import the data from Excel
spread sheet to an Oracle table using SQL Developer?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-L
From: Bob Barrows on
Learner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are planning to migrate our SQL Server datbases to Oralce 10g in
> near future. As part of this process I am just trying to migrate a
> small database that has only 4 tables in Sql Server 2005 to Oralce 10g
> Express Edition.
>
> I am just recreating all the table definitions in Oracle by looking at
> the definitions in SQL Server 2005. I am not sure if this is going to
> be possibel, but once tables are defined then my idea is to export the
> data from SQL Server to an Excel spread sheet and then import it into
> Oracle. I am using Oracle SQL Developer tool.

How about right-clicking the database in SSMS and choosing Tasks/Export
Data, launching the SSIS Export Wizard and choosing the Oracle provider
so you can export the data directly into Oracle? I'm not at all clear
about why you are thinking of exporting to Excel first.

> My questions:
> 1).Are there an easy ways to migrate table definitions from SQL Server
> 2005 to Oralce?

That depends on what you mean by "table definitions". If all you mean is
the column definitions, then the Export wizard will take care of
generating the sql statement to create the table in Oracle. If you're
also wanting keys, constraints, triggers, etc. then I think you will
need to do that manually.

> 2).Can we directly export the data from SQL SErver to Oralce?

Probably - proviso: I have not done it myself, but I've used SSIS to
export data to IBM iSeries (used to be AS/400), so I see no reason it
could not be done. YMMV

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Learner on
On Jun 23, 3:12 pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:
> Learner wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> >   We are planning to migrate our SQL Server datbases to Oralce 10g in
> > near future. As part of this process I am just trying to migrate a
> > small database that has only 4 tables in Sql Server 2005 to Oralce 10g
> > Express Edition.
>
> > I am just recreating all the table definitions in Oracle by looking at
> > the definitions in SQL Server 2005. I am not sure if this is going to
> > be possibel, but once tables are defined then my idea is to export the
> > data from SQL Server to an Excel spread sheet and then import it into
> > Oracle. I am using Oracle SQL Developer tool.
>
> How about right-clicking the database in SSMS and choosing Tasks/Export
> Data, launching the SSIS Export Wizard and choosing the Oracle provider
> so you can export the data directly into Oracle? I'm not at all clear
> about why you are thinking of exporting to Excel first.
>
> > My questions:
> > 1).Are there an easy ways to migrate table definitions from SQL Server
> > 2005 to Oralce?
>
> That depends on what you mean by "table definitions". If all you mean is
> the column definitions, then the Export wizard will take care of
> generating the sql statement to create the table in Oracle. If you're
> also wanting keys, constraints, triggers, etc. then I think you will
> need to do that manually.
>
> > 2).Can we directly export the data from SQL SErver to Oralce?
>
> Probably - proviso: I have not done it myself, but I've used SSIS to
> export data to IBM iSeries (used to be AS/400), so I see no reason it
> could not be done. YMMV
>
> --
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not worried about the keys,
contraints and triggers at this time. I just want to be able to create
the tables and load the data from SQL Server 2005 to Oracle 10g. I
have never used the SSIS before. Do I have to install it from the SQL
Server pack of CDs? I do not see it installed on our production
server. Can I install SSIS on my PC rather installing it on production
and still be able to use it to export the data to Oracle (it is on my
PC)?

Thanks,
From: Learner on
On Jun 23, 3:28 pm, Learner <pra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:12 pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:
>

> > Learner wrote:
> > > Hi,
>
> > >   We are planning to migrate our SQL Server datbases to Oralce 10g in
> > > near future. As part of this process I am just trying to migrate a
> > > small database that has only 4 tables in Sql Server 2005 to Oralce 10g
> > > Express Edition.
>
> > > I am just recreating all the table definitions in Oracle by looking at
> > > the definitions in SQL Server 2005. I am not sure if this is going to
> > > be possibel, but once tables are defined then my idea is to export the
> > > data from SQL Server to an Excel spread sheet and then import it into
> > > Oracle. I am using Oracle SQL Developer tool.
>
> > How about right-clicking the database in SSMS and choosing Tasks/Export
> > Data, launching the SSIS Export Wizard and choosing the Oracle provider
> > so you can export the data directly into Oracle? I'm not at all clear
> > about why you are thinking of exporting to Excel first.
>
> > > My questions:
> > > 1).Are there an easy ways to migrate table definitions from SQL Server
> > > 2005 to Oralce?
>
> > That depends on what you mean by "table definitions". If all you mean is
> > the column definitions, then the Export wizard will take care of
> > generating the sql statement to create the table in Oracle. If you're
> > also wanting keys, constraints, triggers, etc. then I think you will
> > need to do that manually.
>
> > > 2).Can we directly export the data from SQL SErver to Oralce?
>
> > Probably - proviso: I have not done it myself, but I've used SSIS to
> > export data to IBM iSeries (used to be AS/400), so I see no reason it
> > could not be done. YMMV
>
> > --
> > HTH,
> > Bob Barrows
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I am not worried about the keys,
> contraints and triggers at this time. I just want to be able to create
> the tables and load the data from SQL Server 2005 to Oracle 10g. I
> have never used the SSIS before. Do I have to install it from the SQL
> Server pack of CDs? I do not see it installed on our production
> server. Can I install SSIS on my PC rather installing it on production
> and still be able to use it to export the data to Oracle (it is on my
> PC)?
>
> Thanks,
> L- Hide quoted text -

I am sorry I have SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express installed
on my PC and I have the production server registered in it. But when I
right click on the database under tasks I do not see Import Data...
and Export Data... options to pick from. Doesn't the Managementstudio
come with the SSIS installed in it by default? Am I missing some thing
here?

I am downloading the Import and Export wizard from
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=65111. I will it install it and
see if I would have any luck with it.

people are also talking about SSMA for Oracle. I am not sure if this
equally good from migrating SQL Server 2005 to Oracle or just only for
Oracle to Sql server?

Thanks,
From: Bob Barrows on
Learner wrote:

> I am sorry I have SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express installed

"Express" is the keyword. There is only partial integration services
support provided in the Express edition
(http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx)

> on my PC and I have the production server registered in it. But when I
> right click on the database under tasks I do not see Import Data...
> and Export Data... options to pick from. Doesn't the Managementstudio
> come with the SSIS installed in it by default? Am I missing some thing
> here?
>
> I am downloading the Import and Export wizard from
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=65111. I will it install it and
> see if I would have any luck with it.

That looks like what you need.

> people are also talking about SSMA for Oracle. I am not sure if this
> equally good from migrating SQL Server 2005 to Oracle or just only for
> Oracle to Sql server?

Doesn't Oracle have any import functionality that you can use?
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows