From: JF Mezei on
Kurt Ullman wrote:

> I tried to put her old computer's no. 1 disc into slot, but it just pops
> back out immediately. The one time it did decide to stay in, it never
> showed up on finder.

Have you tried inserting a DVD that is known to work on another machine ?

If you have a newer machine, it should have a DVD with it. You set the
old mac to boot from DVD, then shut it down. Insert the DVD and power
up. See if it is able to boot from that DVD.

When you boot from DVD, your "system disk" is just a data disk. The DVD
software has a menu where you can change the disk's passwords.
From: Kurt Ullman on
In article <4c5af402$0$10341$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Kurt Ullman wrote:
>
> > I tried to put her old computer's no. 1 disc into slot, but it just pops
> > back out immediately. The one time it did decide to stay in, it never
> > showed up on finder.
>

> Have you tried inserting a DVD that is known to work on another machine ?

Yeah. ANd two music CDs. All the same. It goes into the machine, the
machine makes noise for a couple of seconds and then it pops out again.

> If you have a newer machine, it should have a DVD with it. You set the
> old mac to boot from DVD, then shut it down. Insert the DVD and power
> up. See if it is able to boot from that DVD.
I can't get the DVD to mount, I guess is the real problem. It is
10.5, BTW.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
From: Phillip Jones on
Kurt Ullman wrote:
> I am trying to migrate from my kid's old Macbook to a brand new one. The
> old one's administative password seems to be lost to the sands of time.
> I tried to put her old computer's no. 1 disc into slot, but it just pops
> back out immediately. The one time it did decide to stay in, it never
> showed up on finder.
> I am thinking that the CD drive is toast and that I am hosed on the
> admin password which means I can't use migration assistant. Any other
> suggestions?
> Any suggestions on best way to try to migrate? I am thinking about
> probably doing a SuperDuper back-up of the old machine and transferring
> everything but the OS over. Is this likely to work?

Get an external DVD Drive. wouldn't be a Bad idea anyway if you need to
make archive backups of say the systems disk or dup of DVD/CD's.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1(a)kimbanet.com
From: Tempuser on
On 8/5/10 7:59 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
> I am trying to migrate from my kid's old Macbook to a brand new one. The
> old one's administative password seems to be lost to the sands of time.
> I tried to put her old computer's no. 1 disc into slot, but it just pops
> back out immediately. The one time it did decide to stay in, it never
> showed up on finder.
> I am thinking that the CD drive is toast and that I am hosed on the
> admin password which means I can't use migration assistant. Any other
> suggestions?
> Any suggestions on best way to try to migrate? I am thinking about
> probably doing a SuperDuper back-up of the old machine and transferring
> everything but the OS over. Is this likely to work?

Here's the best answer I've seen on any board:

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on
newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a
brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you
login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good
to go again!

From: Wayne C. Morris on
In article <d8KdnekAxYE-asfRnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <4c5af402$0$10341$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
> JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried inserting a DVD that is known to work on another machine ?
>
> Yeah. ANd two music CDs. All the same. It goes into the machine, the
> machine makes noise for a couple of seconds and then it pops out again.

See if you can connect the two via ethernet and boot the old MacBook from the
new Mac's DVD drive. Turn on "DVD or CD Sharing" in the new Mac's sharing
preferences. I think pressing N or option-N during startup will let you choose
a network drive to boot from.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Used Car Sri Lanka