From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
If you enable both 110 and 995, the client will choose the port it uses. If
you want only secure access, then you must block unsecured POP, which means
port 110 won't be answered.

ActiveSync doesn't use POP or IMAP, it's a separate service that runs over
HTTPS. How his BlackBerry connects depends on his serivce provider. An
iPhone works very well with ActiveSync--it's arguably the best ActiveSync
client out there right now. If you had Exchange 2007 you'd be amazed how
well Autodiscover works with iPhones.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: steve on
Thanks.

Maybe its a good reason to go to Exchange 2007.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 03:47:09 -0700 (PDT), steve <stevesemple(a)lycos.com>
wrote:

>> Ummm . . . okay. I'm naked if you are.
>You too.
>

>> That just tells you that those ports are what POP3 and POPS are
>> listening on.
>
>> Have you installed a X.509v3 certificate on the Virtual Server? You
>> need one before SSL will work.
>Ok no I have not.

Well, then SSL isn't going to work. :-)

>But IM confused isnt port 110 un secure and 995 secure.

Generally speaking, yes.

>If its
>listening on both ports then doesnt it mean that its going to give out
>pop mail securly or insecurly. (not sure if thats english)

If you listen on port 110 and an e-mail client connects on that port
then SSL won't be used -- even if you had a SSL certificate installed.
If that's not acceptable you should remove the entry for port 110.

>> Does the phone have ActiveSync on it?
>I have no Idea, its the CEO's phone. Its a blackberry.

Blackberry doesn't have ActiveSync. But he'd be better off using IMAPS
instead of POPS. You only have access to your Inbox with POP.

>But He says hes
>dumping it and going to get a IPHONE.

The iPhone has ActiveSync.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 07:17:37 -0700 (PDT), steve <stevesemple(a)lycos.com>
wrote:

>Come to think of it I may have set up a certificate when I set up web
>mail. But Im not sure how I would check.

You should be able to click on the "Certificate" button on the POP
Virtual Server's property page.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP